Front Axle Float Adjustment

/ Front Axle Float Adjustment #1  

Venturabass

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5310SE
Hi All,
I am a newer owner to a 1997 Massey Ferguson 1240 compact tractor. I recently picked up the shop manuals, and when I was reading through them I came to a section that discussed adjusting the front axle float.

I did some searches for axle float on the forums but didn't find anything. I searched google and got a basic understanding: a full floating axle doesn't support the vehicle weight, it only transfers torque to the wheels.

But I'm still unsure of "adjusting front axle float" is, and if I even need to bother with this? Could anyone give me a better explanation?

Thanks.

/ Front Axle Float Adjustment #2  
I'm pretty sure they're talking about the play in the front axle center pivot. If I remember correct the pivot has an adjusting bolt to adjust the fore-aft play.
If you pick the front axle up with the loader, grab one of the front wheels & try to move it towards the front and rear of the tractor, that's what you would be adjusting.
Different than a full floating axle in a vehicle.

/ Front Axle Float Adjustment
So you're saying if I put the FEL loader bucket on the ground, and use it to lift the front end of the tractor off the ground, I can pull on the wheels and make the axles move fore and aft?

Any idea if this is something I need to actually adjust? Have you ever checked/adjusted this? I do recall seeing that screw. The tip of the screw points to the back of the tractor.