Tires Filling ag tires

/ Filling ag tires #1  

DirkRobertson

Tractor
L5800 Kubota 1999
I live in Central Mississippi and just bought my first tractor, a Kubota L2500. I would like to fill the rear tires with water, antifreeze, whatever to add weight for disking. I'm on unfamiliar ground and would like advice on what is appropriate, safe, effective, etc. How do you do this? Is this something I should let a professional do?

Thanks for any suggestions!

/ Filling ag tires #2  
I live in Central Mississippi and just bought my first tractor, a Kubota L2500. I would like to fill the rear tires with water, antifreeze, whatever to add weight for disking. I'm on unfamiliar ground and would like advice on what is appropriate, safe, effective, etc. How do you do this? Is this something I should let a professional do?

Thanks for any suggestions!

It is doable by you, if you have any mechanical ability, You will need a fill valve assembly, and a pump. The valve was $10, and the pump I used was a cheap plastic drill pump $6 at home depot. There are many thread on this forum about how to fill tires. Lots of different ways to do it too.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/234867-loading-tires.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/253355-how-do-you-put-ballast.html

These threads will get you started. Call back if you have any questions.

James K0UA

/ Filling ag tires #3  
You will also have to decide what to put in your tire.
Water is cheap. It may freeze in cold climates. It is still mildly corrosive, especially when mixed with air.
Calcium Salt is supposed to be relatively cheap and will increase the mass of the tires somewhat. However, it is very corrosive, both in the tube, and any that drips on the rim.
"Rim Guard", Is that Beet Juice? Anyway, it is supposed to be non-corrosive than.

Anyway, don't fill a tubeless tire with anything other than Beet Juice or Rimguard.

I've got a rim with a tubeless tire that someone put calcium salt & water into...
And, now I'm looking for a new rim. :yuck:
And, if I can't find the rim, I'll have to make something.

/ Filling ag tires #4  
We always used plain water in our tractor tires when Dad and I farmed near Monroe / Bastrop Louisiana and never had a rim rust problem. Plain water will freeze some during cold winter months so if you use plain water, don't plan to use the tractor after extended periods of below freezing weather. They will sweat when they are frozen (like an iced tea glass), so don't move the tractor till they quit sweating if you get some really cold weather. I just finished filling mine with plain water on my LS P7010. I don't expect any need to use it during freezing weather so I wont worry about the water freezing. We only had a couple of weeks of freezing weather this year and the rest of the time it was really mild. In Mississippi you should be ok to use plain water also or put in a couple gallons of antifreeze per tire and you should be good to go to about 25F.

/ Filling ag tires #5  
I just filled my tires with water and antifreeze using the fill adapter from tractor supply (found on the rack with the green slime). On the little 26 12 12 SCUT tires it was quick and simple.

/ Filling ag tires #6  
In Brandon Mississippi you will be fine with straight water.

I'm originally from South MS

/ Filling ag tires #7  
I had my rear tires filled with Rim Guard. I'm very happy with the result. It is heavier than water. I let the pros do it.