Tractor
    L5800 Kubota 1999

Default Filling ag tires

I live in Central Mississippi and just bought my first tractor, a kubota L2500. I would like to fill the rear tires with water, antifreeze, whatever to add weight for disking. I'm on unfamiliar ground and would like advice on what is appropriate, safe, effective, etc. How do you do this? Is this something I should let a professional do?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: Filling ag tires

Quote Originally Posted by DirkRobertson View Post
    I live in Central Mississippi and just bought my first tractor, a kubota L2500. I would like to fill the rear tires with water, antifreeze, whatever to add weight for disking. I'm on unfamiliar ground and would like advice on what is appropriate, safe, effective, etc. How do you do this? Is this something I should let a professional do?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    It is doable by you, if you have any mechanical ability, You will need a fill valve assembly, and a pump. The valve was $10, and the pump I used was a cheap plastic drill pump $6 at home depot. There are many thread on this forum about how to fill tires. Lots of different ways to do it too.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/c...ing-tires.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...t-ballast.html

These threads will get you started. Call back if you have any questions.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,

You will also have to decide what to put in your tire.
    Water is cheap. It may freeze in cold climates. It is still mildly corrosive, especially when mixed with air.
    Calcium Salt is supposed to be relatively cheap and will increase the mass of the tires somewhat. However, it is very corrosive, both in the tube, and any that drips on the rim.
    "Rim Guard", Is that Beet Juice? Anyway, it is supposed to be non-corrosive than.

Anyway, don't fill a tubeless tire with anything other than Beet Juice or Rimguard.

I've got a rim with a tubeless tire that someone put calcium salt & water into...
    And, now I'm looking for a new rim.
    And, if I can't find the rim, I'll have to make something.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

We always used plain water in our tractor tires when Dad and I farmed near Monroe / Bastrop Louisiana and never had a rim rust problem. Plain water will freeze some during cold winter months so if you use plain water, don't plan to use the tractor after extended periods of below freezing weather. They will sweat when they are frozen (like an iced tea glass), so don't move the tractor till they quit sweating if you get some really cold weather. I just finished filling mine with plain water on my LS P7010. I don't expect any need to use it during freezing weather so I wont worry about the water freezing. We only had a couple of weeks of freezing weather this year and the rest of the time it was really mild. In Mississippi you should be ok to use plain water also or put in a couple gallons of antifreeze per tire and you should be good to go to about 25F.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1025r TLB

I just filled my tires with water and antifreeze using the fill adapter from tractor supply (found on the rack with the green slime). On the little 26 12 12 SCUT tires it was quick and simple.
    '13 JD 1025r TLB
    60D MMM w/ electric over hydraulic independent lift
    Custom Seat Springs (no more bottoming out)
    Single Point Quick Disconnect
    180* Thermostat
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks
    Omni Transformer

In Brandon Mississippi you will be fine with straight water.

I'm originally from South MS
    =========================================
    Massey Ferguson 2615

Tractor
    2012 Mahindra 4035 HST with loaded tires, Allis Chalmers WD

I had my rear tires filled with Rim Guard. I'm very happy with the result. It is heavier than water. I let the pros do it.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Go to Liquid Ballast Supplies on this website. Installing Liquid Ballast in Tires | Gempler's Best wishes.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

The following website will provide addional info regarding Ballast in tires. OrangeTractorTalks | kubota Tractor Tips, Classifieds, Specifications and Discussion
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.