Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Default Toe hooks re-purposed as bucket hooks?

I was looking at the bucket hooks on another thread and it got me thinking that there had to be other hooks one could use. I expect these would work.

tow hooks

-z-s0039_thumbnail-jpg

Or maybe these Harbor Freight hooks

-image_15855-jpg

Default Re: Toe hooks re-purposed as bucket hooks?

Those hooks will work but need to be bolted on. Often the steel on bolt-able hooks is not suitable for welding.

Also, if their rating is available, see how they compare to grab hooks made to be welded on. Grade 70 grab hooks are rated to 6,600 pounds.

If there is no rating then they should probably be avoided as the quality of the steel is questionable. Nothing worse than carrying around something valuable and the hook fails.

The Harbor Freight hook has a rating of 10,000 pounds...but it is Harbor Freight. It will likely be fine but proceed with caution. Price is quite reasonable.
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

The hooks in the other thread were also bolt on. My thinking if 2 of these tow hooks are strong enough to pull out a stuck 4WD pickup they are good enough to bolt to a loader bucket.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135

It depends on what you intend to use to do lifting - straps or chains? It also depends on what you have on the ends of the straps or chains - hooks or loops? You need to know the weight rating and/or grade of your hooks. Just because they may be sold for pulling an off road vehicle out of a ditch doesn't necessarily mean they have adequate strength for that purpose or any other.

Many welded on bucket hooks are for intended for use with chain - grab hooks. Some put a combination of grab hooks and slip hooks on their buckets. Others install lifting rings as well. I wouldn't count on bolt on hooks unless I was sure of the grade of the hook and bolts.

I have two welded grab hooks on mine.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

prefer a combo hook. were i can drop a link between a slot. without having to "hook chain back onto itself" ((you still should re hook chain back onto itself)) but it is that slot that can make life easier. and kinda holds the chain without having to deal with "slack in chain" and chain sliding through a loop.

and then a "loop" for other chains / ropes / cables. that makes everything multi purpose. that i like.

no idea what the hook type is called.

-id-bucket-hooks-png
    Ryan

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

I like the look of the hook Ryan.

Also how strong a hook one needs depends on the tractor/loader. I have a BX2200. Not much point in 6000lb hooks.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

The style of the first one in post #1 was provided with some Jeep Cherokee receiver hitches. Probably available from other sources, too, but don't buy one from the link. That is for RC model trucks.

Here are some higher rated hooks for those with large tractors:

http://winchlines.com/merchant.mvc?S...oad_And_Towing

http://winchlines.com/merchant.mvc?S...oad_And_Towing

Bruce

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    The style of the first one in post #1 was provided with some Jeep Cherokee receiver hitches. Probably available from other sources, too, but don't buy one from the link. That is for RC model trucks.

Here are some higher rated hooks for those with large tractors:

Rigging Products, Inc. Sales Online: *PAIR*B2801A EXTRA HEAVY DUTY TOW HOOKS

Rigging Products, Inc. Sales Online: *PAIR*B2801C 3 HOLE TOW HOOKS

Bruce

I want some of these tires... checkem out.. only $29 per PAIR

Rok Lox 2.2 Comp Tires
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    I like the look of the hook Ryan.

Also how strong a hook one needs depends on the tractor/loader. I have a BX2200. Not much point in 6000lb hooks.
    went a looking i thought it was a "sticky" thread in one of the main forums. someone was selling/making more of a V shape hook, that was either weld on or bolt on. though it may be more like hooks shown in this thread with a part circle shape. but there was more "re-enforcement" at the tip of the hook.

other words when ya roll the bucket all the way down, the chain will want to roll to the "narrow tip" of the hook. and that is about point were hook will either bend or brake, or chain slips off. and the hook i was thinking about, had some extra re-enforcement and longer tip of the hook, to reduce chance of chain slipping off and/or bend when ya at them odd ball angles, and needing just that little more.

ya know, what your land is like better than anyone else and what you need the hooks for. but just saying, ya might want to look at a different set of hooks even if it costs ya 10 to 30 bucks more.
    Ryan

Elite Member
    Tractor

and as soon as i post, i see below thread. "ken's hooks"
    Loader Ken's Bolt On Bucket Hooks
    Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast