Canopy Moved some logs today

/ Moved some logs today #11  
I have had trouble looking up the exact specs for this saw's chain, so I just order the OEM chain by mail.

You should be able to find an Oregon chain for it. Try this saw chain lookup guide

OREGON® Hand Held Chain Saw Replacement Parts

or bring your saw or an old chain into a shop that sells saws as a dealer ( not home depot or ace hardware ) they will give you a standard Oregon number to use. Then your good to go on your own from then on.

/ Moved some logs today #12  
I have had trouble looking up the exact specs for this saw's chain, so I just order the OEM chain by mail.

Got it.....around here.....we just take the old chain in to the saw shop.....they make me up a new chain in about 5 minutes. One advantage to living in a logging town. Good luck!:thumbsup:

/ Moved some logs today #13  
Forks are really king when it comes to big logs, I will never be without them.

photo-143.jpg

photo-102.jpg

/ Moved some logs today #14  
Yes, forks are real handy. Until (if ever) I get a real set, I cobbled up a set of slip-on forks based on a design by someone here on TBN (sorry, I forget who). They work really well, I just have to be careful not to roll the log back onto me and the tractor. And to the OP - great find on the wood, and fine looking tractor too. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Loading Logs 2012-07-19- 002.jpg
    Loading Logs 2012-07-19- 002.jpg
    820.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Loader Forks 004.jpg
    Loader Forks 004.jpg
    911.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Loader Forks 007.jpg
    Loader Forks 007.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 173
   / Moved some logs today
Just about a week later, and I estimate I have cut and moved about two to two-and-a-half cord of wood, when it's finally split. Cutting the logs into rounds on site and moving them one truck-load at a time seems to be about 1/3 faster than moving them with the tractor, not even counting transportation time between home and the site. I'm doing one or two short-bed loads a day, depending on how much stamina I have.

2013-04-13 17.16.33.jpg

The picture doesn't really do it justice, but it'll give you some idea.

/ Moved some logs today #16  
After using my fork lift attachment to load logs I decided a grapple works much better. I have much better control picking up and putting the log or whatever else where I want it. With the grapple I just drive up, open the grapple, rotate the bucket, close the grapple, and lift.

If I did it right you can see the grapple in the attached photo. It is a simple one I bought off eBay. It has proven to be a very useful attachment.

Attachments

• P1000689.jpg
    P1000689.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 165
   / Moved some logs today #17  
Just about a week later, and I estimate I have cut and moved about two to two-and-a-half cord of wood, when it's finally split. Cutting the logs into rounds on site and moving them one truck-load at a time seems to be about 1/3 faster than moving them with the tractor, not even counting transportation time between home and the site. I'm doing one or two short-bed loads a day, depending on how much stamina I have.

View attachment 312996

The picture doesn't really do it justice, but it'll give you some idea.

Free wood - any way you can get it is good :thumbsup:
I would agree, with a 2 mile trip your truck is the best bet. Plus it is all blocked up when you get home.

jmckelvey, I have a similar grapple on my bucket and.you are right they are very useful

Attachments

• PickingLog2.JPG
    PickingLog2.JPG
    605.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
   / Moved some logs today #18  
I built a log fork a couple of years ago for my quick attach. I made it with the forks 75 inches on center because I buck my wood to fifteen inches. If I pick up the log in a way that my fifteen inch cut misses one fork, then it misses the other fork too. I do my bucking on the fork. I cut most of the way through on the fork and finish the cut with the log on the ground. I have a bad back and can't do much of the bucking bent over.

My build thread is here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/213676-log-forks.html

LS_Tractor_057.jpg

LS_Tractor_002.jpg

/ Moved some logs today
I'm about two cords through the pile. Here's the second one.

2013-05-05 18.40.49.jpg

Split every lick of it by hand so far, because... well, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. I do like swinging that maul--CRACK! The pile is getting smaller and smaller. As soon as it's gone, I'll go back and get some more. Y'all should see the stack of logs that the excavator made. I couldn't really even begin to guess, but I'd say there must be at least twenty cord in there.