Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines

/ Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines #1  

kehi66

Tractor
None- currently looking
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and currently have my eyes set on a 3320 for our 3 acre property/home that we purchased 2 months ago. We have approx 1 acre of grass but that will be expanding including the making of a garden and clearing some trees. I also expect a lot of loader work in the future thus the need for a FEL. I am wondering about the above question as we have a sandy/clay soil and do not want to damage the septic system. Thanks for any assistance

/ Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines #2  
Hi kehi,

I don't think anyone can tell you in good conscience that you should have anything on top of your septic tank cover, regardless of the psi at the ground. Tremedous variance in the construction & quality of tanks/covers...

That being said, I have a 3520 and do mow over the top of mine without issue, having an mx5 on the back and the 300cx & 6 ft heavy bucket on the front... if I break through it's my own %^#$ fault because I shouldn't be doing it.

I know it's no definitive answer, but it's the best one I've got for you! It is a great platform for doing a tremendous variety of tasks & still fitting into a lot of places. More power & lifting capability than the size of it can get to the ground--very light machine for what it offers.

/ Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines #3  
I don't see a problem with it, turf tires would help lighten the footprint.

/ Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines #4  
I would think that it would be a little heavy to do regular mowing. My unit is equal to a jd2720 and with the r4's i have on i leave a slight indent in the lawn.Wish i had turfs. I do go over my septic at 2000-2500 lbs i don't see it being a problem to do so.

/ Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines #5  
Hi kehi,

I don't think anyone can tell you in good conscience that you should have anything on top of your septic tank cover, regardless of the psi at the ground. Tremedous variance in the construction & quality of tanks/covers...

That being said, I have a 3520 and do mow over the top of mine without issue, having an mx5 on the back and the 300cx & 6 ft heavy bucket on the front... if I break through it's my own %^#$ fault because I shouldn't be doing it.

I know it's no definitive answer, but it's the best one I've got for you! It is a great platform for doing a tremendous variety of tasks & still fitting into a lot of places. More power & lifting capability than the size of it can get to the ground--very light machine for what it offers.

This is a good answer imo, because we just have no way of knowing what your situation is. I have been in the plumbing business for 25 years and can say that some systems you can drive a heavy truck over and some are on the verge of collapse.

/ Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines #6  
Yeah I agree that we can't tell you with good confidence because we don't your specs but I can tell you that I mow over my septic tank and drain field with my heavier cab tractor and do so with great confidence. It would have to be one big tank to get the full weight of 2 ton over the tank in one pass. I get maybe one wheel of weight displacement over the tank at a given point.

/ Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines #7  
I drive over my lines all the time on my B21 with no ill effects, even using the BB sometimes. I do recognize that if I screw something up, I'll pay the price. But no probs yet.

/ Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines #8  
What others said, just can't say, I have driven trucks and tractors over mine and routinely run over it with my L5740, but it's concrete and I discussed it with the guy who put it in.

/ Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines #9  
I mow with a 4310 and a 72" deck. I have used this set up for 7 years and had no trouble. I have two sets of weights on the rear and 4 70 slabs on the front. It will depend on how deep the lines and tank are and the condition they are in. I had the whole system replaced 5 years ago. I had Orangeberg pipe (not sure on the spelling but it looked like tar paper made into pipe) and the code changed requiring a two compartment tank.

/ Does the JD 3320 weigh too much to mow over septic tank and lines #10  
I have to drive across the lines getting to my hay shed. My Deutz Fahr weighs with ballast -12,000lbs and I've sold hay and had 30 ft. trailers loaded with 18,000 lbs. of hay on them. Been driving across this area since 1984. No problems. I don't drive over the tank and only drive across the lines.