30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need?

/ 30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need? #21  
I'm not sure how far this is from you but I'd take a serious look at this tractor for the price. It would be the only tractor you'll ever need for anything you'll ever do. I'm not sure of the mechanical condition but if its as good as she looks, I'd buy it tomorrow without thinking about it. I was thinking about making a road trip and selling my 3000.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7451711

/ 30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need? #22  
1-5 acres. Garden tractor
5-15 acres. ~20 hp SCUT
15-20 acres. 20-30 hp CUT
20-30 acres. 30-40 hp CUT
30-50 acres. 40-50 hp UT
>50 acres. Full sized tractor.
>150 acres. A monster

/ 30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need? #23  
5-15 acres. ~20 hp SCUT
30-50 acres. 40-50 hp UT
>150 acres. A monster

I disagree.
I only have 2 acres. I'd have to give up my BX? NO!!!!!!
>150 acres, a monster? Wow, we farmed 255 acres with a Model A JD and 730 Case for a LONG time. I think you could do a full 640 acres w/o going over 150hp fairly easily.

/ 30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need? #24  
Never fails ,30 acres , new house but no money for the tractor .

/ 30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need? #25  
I've been on Craigslist quite a bit, use TractorData.com frequently and will attend an auction soon. Like when I researched buying the crawler loader I'll spend way too much time combing this and other websites before pulling the trigger and buying a tractor. If you guys wouldn't mind briefly commenting on the following tractors I've spotted on Craigslist I'd appreciate it.

IH 784
Long 460
Ford 5000
NH 3930, 1999 year, 2900 hrs
MF 135

Thanks.

Phil

MF135--classic tractor, lots of them around, relatively easy to find parts, gas engine models are easier to work on yourself than the diesel models (especially if the injector pump on the diesel goes out--expensive to repair or replace). The "power steering" on the 135 is actually "power assisted steering" and is not true power steering. So you get a good upper body workout doing field work with the 135. There are several TBN threads going now on restoring 135s that would be a good source of info.

Ford 5000--don't have hands on experience with this one, but I hear good things about that vintage Ford tractor. It's enough tractor for your needs.

Long 460--I'd be concerned about parts availability/price.

Don't know about the others on your list.

Good luck

/ 30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need? #26  
5-15 acres. ~20 hp SCUT
30-50 acres. 40-50 hp UT
>150 acres. A monster
Yeah and take all week to mow 10-15 acres with a maximum of 20hp scut. Or do anything

/ 30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need? #27  
5-15 acres. ~20 hp SCUT
30-50 acres. 40-50 hp UT
>150 acres. A monster
Really depends on what your doing. I've got over 400 acres and think my 51 HP Kubota will handle what I want to do very well, which is mostly maintaining trails and deer plots, plus the inevitable "around the shop and house" chores.

More tractors would be better, then I wouldn't have to swap implements so often.

/ 30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need? #28  
Take the 1150 and push the posts in the ground with the loader get a bucket full of dirt for more weight.Way better than digging holes or driving posts for cow fence

/ 30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need? #29  
The tractor that you buy should have a wide front with power steering and a live pto and three point is a plus.You should try operating it before you buy it to see if the controls are located in such a manner that you can operate them without needing to look at them.Hydrostatic trannies are nice for controling ground speed but they cost a small fortune to repair, so I would choose a conventional transmission.Diesel will run alot longer on the same amount of fuel.Don't hesitate buying a tractor bigger than you need.The bigger tractor many times will be just as cheap as the small one and will do the jobs quicker, and they are no harder to operate than the small tractor.Look for oil leaks, missing parts and take someone with you that has experience with motors.Farm auctions are a good place to buy your tractor and equipment and much cheaper than the dealers.When the farmer who own the equipment tells the crowd that its field ready, that is usually the case.

/ 30 acre farm. What tractor system do I need? #30  
From your initial post, where you mention "Price is paramount and the leading concern."
The FIRST thing to drop from your list of wants is probably the back-hoe.
As a "Value" proposition it is likely to return the least amount of useful work for the most capital outlay.
For tasks where a back hoe is "essential" hire in a local builder, that will get you a hoe with more capacity than one you could hang on the back of the sort of sized tractor you would need for "maintenance" tasks once the big jobs are done.