Security & Theft theif proofing a tractor

/ theif proofing a tractor #1  

andre12a

Tractor
Foton 254
Hi

just joined this forum so hi to everyone.

I have just purchased a Foton FT254 FEL with slasher. Unfortunately, I have to live in the city for work and only get out to the block on weekends, sometimes with a few weeks in between. Although the property is only five acres and does have neighbours, for piece of mind, I would like to make the tractor as secure as possible. It doesn't have a secure shed, just a roof over it. I disconnected the main fuse harness connector before I left last Sunday, but I was wondering what other things absentee owners do to secure their tractors. Obviously, a wild, hungry, dog is out of the question as are landmines :) (I'm trying to preempt any smart answers here).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Peter.

/ theif proofing a tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN---try Claymoores

/ theif proofing a tractor
Hi

thanks for the welcome. I'm afraid your answer was a bit obscure. I did a net search for Claymoores but nothing relevant came up.

Peter

/ theif proofing a tractor #4  
Welcome! Electrical shut off via removed fuse and fuel shut off are good starts. Thieves want to get what they are after quickly. These will slow then down considerably.

An other option is to wire a toggle switch into one of the safety sensors like the seat or PTO safety switch circuit. That way the circuit will stay open even with an occupant in the seat. This is assuming your country has such safety switches required for tractors and you can hide the toggle.

/ theif proofing a tractor #5  
pull the battery / store else where ....

BIG chain thru the back tires ...

big sign "smile, you're on close circuit TV"

hidden switch ... setup to big horn if the starter is engaged , flip to opposite position to actually engage starter with ignition switch.

install fuel shutoff petcock in fuel line. ( out of sight of course )

/ theif proofing a tractor #6  

I prefer IED's with a phone detonator. I can use my Verizon to trigger it lol.

Some things you can do to help protect it:
1) park it where it can't be seen easily from the road(s).
2) get the heaviest logging chain you can find and run it through a rear rim to somewhere on the frame, or loader mount. Also, use the strongest lock you can find.
3) set up fake video surveillance cameras and add automatic security lights, if you have power there. Also, might consider an alarm system that goes off if the tractor is moved.
4) enclose the shed it's in, which will add one more "layer" of protection from prying eyes.
5) put a heavy gate with another heavy chain and lock at the entrance. If there is no fencing around the property, then this is pretty much useless.

Really, if someone wants it bad enough, they will overcome any obstacle you put in their way to get it. Your best bet is to have good insurance, and good neighbors that will help to keep an eye on your property. Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

/ theif proofing a tractor #7  
Buy insurance for it. Chains, removing tires, switches, disconnecting things, can all be bypassed with a person who has a trailer with a ramp (or a rollback truck), a winch and a torch, or angle grinder.
Storing it in a shipping container or something else to keep it out of sight will help, but if it is known that you are gone all week, someone knows its there and they want it, they WILL get it.

Aaron Z

/ theif proofing a tractor #8  
Andre,
You and I are in similar situations. 'If I remember correctly', my insurance agent said I could get $30,000 worth of theft and vandalism insurance for somewhere in the neighborhood of $250.00 per year. Don't hold me to those figures. My memory isn't the best and I still have my tractor in town, uninsured.

/ theif proofing a tractor #10  

That would definitely work but only one would be required. They are reusable but do require a personal presence with bulging biceps a definite advantage. :thumbsup: