Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #11  
I vote for the RR. I have one on a smaller tractor and have pushed out several varieties of woody thorn bushes. I have to wait for the period after a shower to push out the larger ones, but they come up roots and all. I then maintain the area with bush hogging and have not had them return. The RR also works great on sage and smaller brush, and smaller trees. When I have to cut a larger tree, the RR also helps push it into piles for composting/wildlife, or burning.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #12  
I don't have a RR so I usually set the loader bucket flat or angled down just enough to grab and push into a pile, then drag a bb with the scarifiers set to just cut into the dirt to remove most of the rest. We have big issues with briars and wild berry bushes. Keeps them under control and I like the berry bushes growing back for the wildlife. Another option is goats if you can verify it isn't poisonous to them. The rams will level them to get to every bit of foliage.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #13  
Velpar. Now in early spring.

By July they will be dead and crispy enough to simply push out.

The Ratchett rake looks like a fun attachment though...never ignore a good excuse to add another tool to the box. No matter what the wife says, they ARE necessary.:D

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #14  
And some foam filled tires..!!

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #15  
It would be helpful if you would list horsepower and weight of your Branson tractor in description.

Great Idea, Jeff. If everyone did that, it would save me lots of trips to tractordata.com

Last edited:
   / Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #16  
Those bushes look like honey locust. My brother saws the big ones down and PULLS them out of the pasture to keep from running over the thorns. He says they'll flatten a tire even a year after being cut.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions
Sounds like I need to get me a ratchet rake. Thanks for all the input!

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #18  
Bushog with dull blades ... this will fray and loosen cut stobs. Then follow up a day or so later with the ratchet rake. Keep the area cut down diligently for awhile to deal with sprouts.
larry

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #19  
I ripped out about 150-200 SF of invasive multiflora rose last weekend in about 15 minutes on an L3800 with a grapple.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #20  
Where in Texas are you located?
I couldn't really tell in the picture, but the trees look a bit like mesquite.
If you're dealing with mesquite, you really need to research how to get rid of them. They are not like normal trees.