Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #1  

huffy2404

Tractor
Branson 4020R
I've been lurking here for a long time just soaking up all of the great information, but now I have a question and I hope some of you pros might have some suggestions. I have a bunch of these thorn bushes growing on some property that I recently purchased and I am looking for ideas on how to remove them. I want to do something that doesn't leave a bunch of stumps like brush hogging would. I have pulled up probably 400 sq feet of these with a small winch truck, but that takes forever. I'm wondering if there might be some kind of attachment for my tractor that might make this easier.

IMG_0871.JPG

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #2  
It would be helpful if you would list horsepower and weight of your Branson tractor in description.

You will get many opinions here, but MY first choice would be a Ratchet Rake, available from most Tractor Supply stores or from T-B-N store.

It not a root rake, but it works pretty well as a root rake.

It is not a landscape rake, but it works pretty well as a landscape rake.

Best $299 attachment I have.

Does your Branson have a FEL?

Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks might be second most used accessory on my Top Ten list.

http://www.boltonhooks.com

Attachments

• IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:
   / Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions
My tractor is 40hp and I would think around 5500 lbs and it does have a FEL.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #4  
My tractor is 40hp and I would think around 5500 lbs and it does have a FEL.

Man, you are SET: Ratchet Rake.

The RR will grab those bushes and with 5,500 lbs tractor weight you should be able to drag roots-and-all out easily.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #5  
I cut them down with a chainsaw & spray the stump with Remedy. I have pulled them up before & every broken root sprouts & make a new bush. So basically what happens is the one you pull up becomes 6-8 more thorn bushes.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #6  
I've been lurking here for a long time just soaking up all of the great information, but now I have a question and I hope some of you pros might have some suggestions. I have a bunch of these thorn bushes growing on some property that I recently purchased and I am looking for ideas on how to remove them. I want to do something that doesn't leave a bunch of stumps like brush hogging would. I have pulled up probably 400 sq feet of these with a small winch truck, but that takes forever. I'm wondering if there might be some kind of attachment for my tractor that might make this easier.

View attachment 312584

Welcome to TBN, huffy. What exactly are those things?? I was looking for the "thorns" but couldn't really see any. They looked more like "volunteer" trees from those mature, seed spreaders right next to 'em!

Are those tall trees, Oaks?

The reason I'm asking, of course is to make sure you don't get too fired up with spraying this or that on the stumps, roots, etc. 'Cause if you like those big trees... well, they might not like whatever you're sprayin' on the ground! :eek:

Next question - what are you planning to do with the area after the shrubs are gone? Pasture, hay? If you're gonna plant it to a pasture mix or a hay field be aware of possible carry-over affecting new plants.

I liked the looks (and performance) of that Ratchet Rake - impressive! But, as was pointed out; young root stock left in the ground does a fine job of re-growing. IMO - I'd contact your local NRCS extension agent and pick his brain. Likely save you some time and money and less chance of going thru a whole 'nother round of do-over...

AKfish

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #7  
Welcome to TBN, huffy. What exactly are those things?? I was looking for the "thorns" but couldn't really see any. They looked more like "volunteer" trees from those mature, seed spreaders right next to 'em!

The reason I'm asking, of course is to make sure you don't get too fired up with spraying this or that on the stumps, roots, etc. 'Cause if you like those big trees... well, they might not like whatever you're sprayin' on the ground! :eek:

Next question - what are you planning to do with the area after the shrubs are gone? Pasture, hay? If you're gonna plant it to a pasture mix or a hay field be aware of possible carry-over affecting new plants.

I liked the looks (and performance) of that Ratchet Rake - impressive! But, as was pointed out; young root stock left in the ground does a fine job of re-growing. IMO - I'd contact your local NRCS extension agent and pick his brain. Likely save you some time and money and less chance of going thru a whole 'nother round of do-over...

AKfish

I did this in my pasture. Remedy didn't hurt the grass & it didn't spread from where it was sprayed. I put it directly on the freshly cut stump with a hand sprayer. Tordon does a really good job killing off the stump but it will spread & kill other trees that are close.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions

AKfish

I think you are spot on about them being "volunteer" trees. The big trees in the picture are thorny as well, but I have not been able to identify them as of yet. I do know that they are not oaks.

I agree about not wanting to spray them since I intend to keep the larger trees.

This is at my future home site, so the area will be used as a yard and be kept mowed regularly, so I don't think re-growth should be an issue.

Thank you all for the suggestions thus far. This is a great community here.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #9  
Man, you are SET: Ratchet Rake.

The RR will grab those bushes and with 5,500 lbs tractor weight you should be able to drag roots-and-all out easily.

x3 on the rachet rake. I used mine on my little BX last summer and ripped out a gob of honeysuckle. Most fun I've had in a number of years on a tractor.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #10  
I've heard great things about the RR and the Piranha bar for such jobs, but I have yet to use either of them. I have, however, cleared lots of areas on my property that look similar to yours. I haven't yet found a method that is an acceptable level of work. I usually just end up doing more work than I thought I would/should have, cussing a lot, and promising to come up with a better method. To that end, I'll be following this thread with great interest.