Who here runs a (people) business ?

/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #21  
Each employee has something that motivates them and it's not readily apparent. The good manager will figure it out and almost everyone can excel at something if they know what is expected of them and those motivational buttons are pushed. There once was a guy in the office that was a pain in the rear and the ultimate prima-donna in a sea of prima-donnas. Whine and complain and nothing was ever right. One day we figured out it was all a status and appearance thing--give him a little status and puffery and see what happens--but tie the retention of those perks to performance. You only keep the perks if you make the grade. Sorry, but that's life. That was the ticket and the guy turned into a top dog. Big performance, ethical to a fault, first class service and became somewhat more humble. Go figure.

The good manager hires the right people and gets rid of the wrong ones but gives everyone an explanation of what is expected and then gives all an equal opportunity to excel --and equal opportunity to fail . Here's what my company and vision is, here's what your job is and what I expect of you and here are the levels that we part company. Here is what you should expect of me and I will not fail you any more than I expect you to fail me. I support you 100% if you're right and zero if you're wrong.

/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #22  
Each employee has something that motivates them and it's not readily apparent. The good manager will figure it out and almost everyone can excel at something if they know what is expected of them and those motivational buttons are pushed. There once was a guy in the office that was a pain in the rear and the ultimate prima-donna in a sea of prima-donnas. Whine and complain and nothing was ever right. One day we figured out it was all a status and appearance thing--give him a little status and puffery and see what happens--but tie the retention of those perks to performance. You only keep the perks if you make the grade. Sorry, but that's life. That was the ticket and the guy turned into a top dog. Big performance, ethical to a fault, first class service and became somewhat more humble. Go figure.

The good manager hires the right people and gets rid of the wrong ones but gives everyone an explanation of what is expected and then gives all an equal opportunity to excel --and equal opportunity to fail . Here's what my company and vision is, here's what your job is and what I expect of you and here are the levels that we part company. Here is what you should expect of me and I will not fail you any more than I expect you to fail me. I support you 100% if you're right and zero if you're wrong.
what you are sayng make's all the sence in the world but is very seldom ever pratcied. it's very hard for me to explain in typing or writing but the labor laws have changed so much that you can no longer fire people for not doing there job, i know that sound's crazy but it's true. but back to the people [the public ] as we call it one of the biggest problem's i have is people have lost all respect for other people, no body want's to wait on nothing and demand it be done now. i guess the internet has helped people develop that mentallty. i told my buddy i don't know how you keep from losing your mind dealing with people who want it now and can't hire anyone to do it. but life goes on we will plug away at it and hope for the best.

/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #23  
I have never managed; I was at the other end of the spectrum. I had a car wreck. A plate in my left ankle, rod up my thy, both hips pined, plate in left shoulder, plate in my neck, in a comma for 2 months, no one thought I would live. I went back to work 4 months after I got out of the hospital. I loved my job and the people. I have had customers cry in my arms after I convinced them they could do it. I would charge a smile to use the carts when i was at the door. One lady told me she was out of smiles; I told her she could have some of mine and opened my arms. She said I made her day; I told her she made mine. I saw her in the store often.
So what response did I get for this love of my work? When I started the co. started schugeling me to open and close. This meant lifting stock onto the shelf; not easy with 2 plates In my back. This was part of a plan to get rid of me, 1 of the management team told me "I will not be part of what they are planning to do to you". The DR wrote 8 times requesting "accommodation" to let me sit 4 hr a day; when I started with the co I was in the phone room. No, the co lied telling me only people only the people on the service desk could work in the phone room. Four times I found people, not from the service desk, in the phone room.
After 1 year I still had not quit. I was called into the office and given three options, go part time, work from a wheelchair, tried that morning and night lifting from the chair aggravated the 2 plats in my neck, or last option leave.
Management has its problems yes, but being an employe can be ruff too.