/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #1  

J F

Elite Member
Tractor
ShovelandBarrow
How do you deal with the "people part"?

Are you a good "manager"?

/ Who here runs a (people) business ?
Currently, I do well if I manage myself, but in the past I've managed a bit, to the whole thing.

/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #3  
Managing people is an art few have mastered, let alone become remotely skilled at. What little I've done reminded me that I'm a technocrat happier with technology than trying to deal with the seemingly infinite variables of dealing with bipedal humanoids.

/ Who here runs a (people) business ?
Managing people is an art few have mastered, let alone become remotely skilled at. What little I've done reminded me that I'm a technocrat happier with technology than trying to deal with the seemingly infinite variables of dealing with bipedal humanoids.

P.E.R.F.E.C.T. :D

/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #5  
I do consult and advise people. Amazing how they pay for my expertise and don't follow it. When the train wrecks happen, they wonder why.

We are running out of trains, these days.

/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #6  
I am in the process of reinventing our business. We are automating as much as We can thru the use of technology. Been in business 40 years. In my opinion it's never been harder to manage people.

/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #7  
it is the carbon based interface that keeps getting in the way.

/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #8  
The problem with being a manager is that usually you don't have the control to do everything you want. And people will disappoint you. I spent time training folks at one job, only to see them quit when the company didn't want to pay the going rate. That is real common, and usually the only thing you can do is quit yourself. I've seen all kinds of "management systems", that involved step raises, half step raises, level pay, etc. All of it is bs, all companies want is cheap. You get what you pay for.

/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #9  
I am in the process of reinventing our business. We are automating as much as We can thru the use of technology. Been in business 40 years. In my opinion it's never been harder to manage people.

I resemble these remarks. ^^^^^

/ Who here runs a (people) business ? #10  
I also find that people do not read anymore. And it is sound bites, text messages, two page powerpoints, and conversations about off-topic BS that seems to sway the issues. In this age of instant information, they want instant results. Sometimes things really are simple, but you have to have a plan, a backup plan, you have to read and communicate.