Removing trees growing next to foundations.

/ Removing trees growing next to foundations. #1  

3v0

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Any suggestions for digging out trees that are right up to buildings. I have one metal building on a slab and wood building on a block foundation. I dug out what I could using my little backhoe along the block foundation but I did not get to where I could get the stumps out.

I left the root exposed to the air hoping it would help prevent further growth but need to close it back up this summer.

Will post a picture in the next hour or so.

/ Removing trees growing next to foundations. #2  
Why try to take it out? you risk damaging the foundation. Cut it clean and put a ring of Tordon on it around the outside of the clean cut. Leave it a few days to make sure the Tordon soaks in and then cover it up and let nature do its magic.

/ Removing trees growing next to foundations.
roots1.jpg

/ Removing trees growing next to foundations. #4  
aplease enlighten me on Tordon, sounds like what I need for pecan stumps.

/ Removing trees growing next to foundations. #5  
The stumps don't look very big so a Brushgrubber might work. Attach Brushgrubber to stumps then pull out using your backhoe and chain.

BrushGrubber | Home

/ Removing trees growing next to foundations. #6  
For the slab foundation, I was thinking a chain might be okay too.

The block foundation is probably less solid and, if you can see root penetration into the block joints, a chain would be risky.

/ Removing trees growing next to foundations. #7  
I would just use stump killer and cover it all back up and let them rot out!---you are going to risk major damage to the building by digging/pulling around it!--- I never dig, I cut/chem/and cover! let it rot! thanks; sonny580

/ Removing trees growing next to foundations. #8  
Tordon is available at most farm supply stores - Rural King, TSC, Agri Supply, etc. It is about $15 for approximately a quart size bottle that has a squirt top on it. You literally cut the tree or bush and put a ring of Tordon around the outside of the fresh cut and forget about it. As Sonny 580 said Cut/Chem/and Cover and you are done. The keys are that you need to apply it very quickly after cutting - <15 minutes or so - and then let soak in for a couple of days before you cover.

There are other brush killers out there, I just got started with Tordon and it works for me so I have not changed.

/ Removing trees growing next to foundations.
If all I had was a few trunks I would jump on to the Tordon approach. But with so many different root systems in the ground I have doubts. Prior to pruning and digging the entire side of that building was green with small junk elms.

I expect I need to wait for the shoots to appear then treat the shoots and a trunk where I can find live wood. From what I have been reading one may be able to apply a diluted solution to leaves. Might be the road to killing off the last of it.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
   / Removing trees growing next to foundations. #10  
The Tordon made for fresh cuts works very well. I've also got Tordon pellets that can be sprinkled on the ground along those buildings. No woody plants will survive. Anytime I clear a brushy fencerow or area, I treat it with the pellets as I'm seeding. Works great.

I think you'll damage the foundations if you try to remove the entire stump.