Kubota RTV 900 vs Kubota RTV 500

/ Kubota RTV 900 vs Kubota RTV 500 #1  

busypenguin

Tractor
None
First time user here.
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm contemplating buying a Kubota RTV 900 or 500 but can't make up my mind. I live in Pa. I intend to use the machine mainly for plowing snow. Pa. hasn't gotten hit with a major snow storm (knock on wood) for quite a while and I guess my main hickup with buying a 600 is would it have enough power compared to the 900 if we did have a major snow storm?
Busypenguin

/ Kubota RTV 900 vs Kubota RTV 500 #2  
Welcome to TBN. You should post this question in the ATV & Utility forum. I have an RTV500, but I do not use it for snowplowing. In high range, the RTV500 is a little under powered. However, in low range it is pretty much unstoppable. There several members that use the RTV500 for plowing. If you do a search on the RTV500/900 in the ATV & Utility Vehicle forum you will find lots of information.

/ Kubota RTV 900 vs Kubota RTV 500
Thanks Stonehaller, I will check out that forum.

/ Kubota RTV 900 vs Kubota RTV 500 #4  
Just going by the numbers, the 900 has more power and should be able to sustain a higher speed when plowing. It also weighs 50% more than the 500, it's diesel vs. gas in the 500, so there should be quite a bit more pushing power. But the 500 seems such a convenient small package, I would love to have one. Either choice should be great.

/ Kubota RTV 900 vs Kubota RTV 500 #5  
I have the RTV 900 and it is great for pulling. I don't do snow plowing but I have used it pulling a drag harrow, pulling up trees and dragging out logs from forest. It has plenty of power in L and M but not so much in H as that is too high speed for pulling. I also like the hydraulic dump bed, I can load it fully with rocks or dirt and dump it on an idle without a strain at all. I cant say anything for the 500 as I have never even looked at one but the diesel engine in the 900 is a definite plus for longevity and power. I suspect that the $$$$ will be much more for the 900 than the 500 but then you get what you pay for in extra size, weigh, power and comfort. I like that the 900 is high enough off the ground for good ground clearance but is still easy to get in and out of. When I first got mine, the wife wouldn't even use it as it was too "big and obnoxious" as she was used to driving her electric golf cart. After a few weeks she finally decided to drive it a bit and it does take some getting used to with the sudden stopping when you take your foot off the go pedal. Now she rarely uses her cart unless I have the RTV out working with it. I have about 290 hours on it so far with not one problem, just regular oil and filter changes as per the schedule.

I won't have a lot of uses for this other than snow plowing for some 8 full time senior citizens who reside here in a small community in western Pa. I think a 900 would be overkill, and I don't have any other equipment that uses diesel fuel. I have only come to this conclusion after reading responses sent from members of this web-site. I think the 900 would be a better choice if I had more property and had more work for it. I really don't think I can justify the cost vs. the work for it at this point in time. Thanks for your input.

/ Kubota RTV 900 vs Kubota RTV 500 #7  
I rather thought that the price tag on the 900 would have you choke a bit. They are outrageously priced. I bought mine used 2 years old and only 68 hours on it so it was basically new. The price was $8500 so I got a very good deal especially with the cost now. The were $11500 new at the time but it seems Kubota has added a couple grand to the cost now. I am sure the 500 will work for plowing snow as I have seen ATVs do it with small 3 foot blades.

Thanks for all your input.