Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice

/ Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice #1  

Thowle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4066R Cab w/ H180 and 4-in-1 Bucket
Hey guys,

I'm about to dive into about 1.5 acres of sweet corn project. I've got a John Deere 3520 Cab tractor with a PTO tiller, 2 row John Deere 7100 planter, and a 2 row cultivator. The planter has a liquid fertilizer system on it.

I've got the area tilled, and have done a soil test. Everything is high, they recommended a 34-0-0 nitrogen fertilizer.

I'm trying to figure out what type of fertilizer I should use at planting time in the liquid tank... Any advice?

Also, should I buy a boom sprayer for the tractor and spray some sort of nitrogen fertilizer after the corn silks? Or would a good fertilizer applied liquid at planting time be sufficient through the life cycle of the corn?

As for the 2 row cultivator... I suppose I just need to do that every so often during the week as I see weeds? Once the corn gets tall enough I can't drive the tractor through it, should I consider some alternative of weed control or will it be able to handle on its an at that stage?

Anything else I should consider?

This is the first time I've really done a garden. And for sure the first experience I have with sweet corn on a fairly medium scale operation.

Any and all advice and information is appreciated!

/ Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice #2  
If you wait till it silks then you are too late to put out your liquid. If your not already set up for applying liquid at planting, such as pumps and hose then just use 34-0-0 or 46-0-0 and disk it in. Appliying the full rate in granular form preplant will work just fine and make a good crop. Much cheaper than buying a sray rig for 1.5 acres. It take a lot of acres too justify switching over to liquid to save a buck on fertilizer.

Last edited:
   / Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice #3  
Also just cultivate your corn as needed until it gets too tall to pass under your tractor without breaking. Good luck

Last edited:
   / Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice #4  
[QUOTE="pjbci;3276639"

Last edited:
   / Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice #5  
Im not quite sure how i posted all that, that many times, sorry

/ Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice
Thanks for the information! The planter is already setup for liquid at planting time; will probably give that a whirl -- can you go and buy liquid 34-0-0 or would I need to go by a coop and have something custom mixed? Are there variants or manufactures of liquid fertilizer that are better than others?

Also -- if I read what you wrote correctly; I can just put the fertilizer on at planting time or pre-plant and it will suffice the nitrogen needs of the corn through the entire life of the corn?

/ Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice #7  
The liquid is available at most co-ops but you will need a transport tank. That is why i think you will be better off to put out a granular souce preplant and disk it in. It will make a good crop this way. We did it for 20 yrs before switching over to liquid to save a few bucks per acre.

/ Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice #8  
I'd like to see pictures of the planter setup ...

/ Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice #9  
Before I'd go dumping a high N fert on the field, have you done a soil test and know what the soil actually needs? I've grown corn for family use for 40 yrs and have never gone with straight N. Around here the typ fert is triple 16. Do realize soils are different in different places but high concentration of straight N and nothing else seems strange to me.

If you don't mind me asking, why such a large plot of corn? Is this a family garden or do you intend to sell it? Sell pre-picked or you pick? Around here, sweet corn yields 7-8 tons/acre for the commercial farmers.

/ Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice
Before I'd go dumping a high N fert on the field, have you done a soil test and know what the soil actually needs?
First thing I did after I tilled it for the 1st time. Results came back as follows...

Phosphorus (P): 209 (Very High)
Potassium (K): 430 (High)
Soil pH: 6.8
Buffer pH: 7.1
Calcium (Ca): 4098
Magnesium (Mg): 239 (High)
Zinc (Zn): 3.8

In their "Recommendation Notes" section they wrote:
Soil Test Recommendation Notes said:
Evenly apply 6 pounds of 34-0-0 nitrogen fertilizer to every 1,000 square feet of soil. Later when plants are 6" tall, evenly apply another 1 to 1.5 pounds of 34-0-0 nitrogen fertilizer along the plant base to every 1,000 square feet of soil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't mind me asking, why such a large plot of corn? Is this a family garden or do you intend to sell it? Sell pre-picked or you pick? Around here, sweet corn yields 7-8 tons/acre for the commercial farmers.
I'm going to try and do it somewhat commercial to sell it; I'll harvest it and package it for sale -- if all goes well! :confused2: