Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 3520 Cab

Default Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice

Hey guys,

I'm about to dive into about 1.5 acres of sweet corn project. I've got a John Deere 3520 Cab tractor with a PTO tiller, 2 row John Deere 7100 planter, and a 2 row cultivator. The planter has a liquid fertilizer system on it.

I've got the area tilled, and have done a soil test. Everything is high, they recommended a 34-0-0 nitrogen fertilizer.

I'm trying to figure out what type of fertilizer I should use at planting time in the liquid tank... Any advice?

Also, should I buy a boom sprayer for the tractor and spray some sort of nitrogen fertilizer after the corn silks? Or would a good fertilizer applied liquid at planting time be sufficient through the life cycle of the corn?

As for the 2 row cultivator... I suppose I just need to do that every so often during the week as I see weeds? Once the corn gets tall enough I can't drive the tractor through it, should I consider some alternative of weed control or will it be able to handle on its an at that stage?

Anything else I should consider?

This is the first time I've really done a garden. And for sure the first experience I have with sweet corn on a fairly medium scale operation.

Any and all advice and information is appreciated!

Tractor
    JD 4840, 450j, 310, komatsu D31px22, IH 1486, MF 135, MHF TO35

If you wait till it silks then you are too late to put out your liquid. If your not already set up for applying liquid at planting, such as pumps and hose then just use 34-0-0 or 46-0-0 and disk it in. Appliying the full rate in granular form preplant will work just fine and make a good crop. Much cheaper than buying a sray rig for 1.5 acres. It take a lot of acres too justify switching over to liquid to save a buck on fertilizer.
    Last edited by pjbci; 04-18-2013 at 04:05 AM.

Tractor

[QUOTE="pjbci;3276639"] Also just cultivate your corn as needed until it gets too tall to pass under your tractor without breaking. Good luck
    Last edited by pjbci; 04-18-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Tractor

[QUOTE="pjbci;3276639"
    Last edited by pjbci; 04-18-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Tractor

Im not quite sure how i posted all that, that many times, sorry

Tractor
    John Deere 3520 Cab

Default Re: Sweet Corn - Liquid Fertilizer & Implement Advice

Thanks for the information! The planter is already setup for liquid at planting time; will probably give that a whirl -- can you go and buy liquid 34-0-0 or would I need to go by a coop and have something custom mixed? Are there variants or manufactures of liquid fertilizer that are better than others?

Also -- if I read what you wrote correctly; I can just put the fertilizer on at planting time or pre-plant and it will suffice the nitrogen needs of the corn through the entire life of the corn?

Tractor

The liquid is available at most co-ops but you will need a transport tank. That is why i think you will be better off to put out a granular souce preplant and disk it in. It will make a good crop this way. We did it for 20 yrs before switching over to liquid to save a few bucks per acre.

Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

I'd like to see pictures of the planter setup ...
    "When selling a lifetime ... don't sell it short"
    auctioneer@southernauctionco.com

Tractor
    Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204

Before I'd go dumping a high N fert on the field, have you done a soil test and know what the soil actually needs? I've grown corn for family use for 40 yrs and have never gone with straight N. Around here the typ fert is triple 16. Do realize soils are different in different places but high concentration of straight N and nothing else seems strange to me.

If you don't mind me asking, why such a large plot of corn? Is this a family garden or do you intend to sell it? Sell pre-picked or you pick? Around here, sweet corn yields 7-8 tons/acre for the commercial farmers.
    Yanmar Fx24D,
    Koyker 155 loader,
    RSB-1300 tiller
    Cub 3204, 48" mower
    Bolen 1257 GT with tiller

Tractor
    John Deere 3520 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_Fx View Post
    Before I'd go dumping a high N fert on the field, have you done a soil test and know what the soil actually needs?
    First thing I did after I tilled it for the 1st time. Results came back as follows...

Phosphorus (P): 209 (Very High)
    Potassium (K): 430 (High)
    Soil pH: 6.8
    Buffer pH: 7.1
    Calcium (Ca): 4098
    Magnesium (Mg): 239 (High)
    Zinc (Zn): 3.8

In their "Recommendation Notes" section they wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Soil Test Recommendation Notes
    Evenly apply 6 pounds of 34-0-0 nitrogen fertilizer to every 1,000 square feet of soil. Later when plants are 6" tall, evenly apply another 1 to 1.5 pounds of 34-0-0 nitrogen fertilizer along the plant base to every 1,000 square feet of soil.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_Fx View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, why such a large plot of corn? Is this a family garden or do you intend to sell it? Sell pre-picked or you pick? Around here, sweet corn yields 7-8 tons/acre for the commercial farmers.
    I'm going to try and do it somewhat commercial to sell it; I'll harvest it and package it for sale -- if all goes well!
    2012 John Deere 3520 Cab
    • Full Cab, Deluxe Air Ride Seat, Wide Stance R4 Tires, Fender Extensions, External Mirrors, Factory Stereo with iPod Connector, 300X Loader, Motorsports-Tech 4" Wheel Spacers (rear)

Implements
    • 2012 John Deere MX6 Rotary Cutter
    • 2013 Bush Hog RDTH-84 Finish Mower
    • 2001 Befco G50 Tiller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast