Optima Batteries-Good or Bad

/ Optima Batteries-Good or Bad #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
I am considering changing my flooded cell batteries over to Optima saturated mat batteries as they expire in my equipment.

The first one is the deep cycle in my truck camper. Actually, the deep cycle in the camper is still good, but I was going to get an Optima Group 31 and laterially exchange the battery in the camper into my gas driven welder and trade in that battery. I use the welder infrequently and when I do, the battery is usually so low, that I have to jump start it.

My 5030 has some type of sealed battery now. I don't know if it's flodded cell or not. The next batteries will be the 2 in my F350 Powerstroke. I am on my 2nd set in the truck. The Optima's are quite a bit more expensive than the group 31 flooded cell batteries I normally purchase.

I guess my questions come down to this:
1. Are Optima batteries worth the extra cost?
2. Will the optima batteries outlast a flooded cell battery appreciably, to offset that added cost.

I am looking for user opinions and experiences (good or bad) before starting the exchange program. I also see that Murrays Auto Parts now sells Optima. Are they much less than some internet suppliers?

/ Optima Batteries-Good or Bad #2  
Yes, IMHO there the best available for extreme duty especially with vibration.
We sell alot and never a complaint or defect. I have them in my diesel truck and Camper. I use the yellow tops.
Danny

/ Optima Batteries-Good or Bad #3  
Daryl,
I run two Optima on my sail plane winch and retriever .
Basically they are 6v Ford long shaft starter motors modified with ball bearing ends . I run them on 12v . They see some very high amperage draws . I've used a lot of other brands and the Optima's will hold up to this for 3 or more years with proper charging . The longest I've gotten out of anything else is 1 !/2 seasons . When the batteries die on my PSD it'll get a set of Optimas . Well that's my .02 worth . John

/ Optima Batteries-Good or Bad #4  
I've had a red top in my JD 790 for nearly two years. No problems at all. Even after 3 months sitting with no changer the Optima would spin the motor just like it was a new battery.

I do plan on adding a Red Top to my VW Golf diesel as soon as I find another use for the OEM battery or its wears out.

These little VW diesels are hard on a battery with high cranking speeds, glow plugs for the engine and the coolant and large amp draws when off .33 to .50 amps.

Lots of other owners of VW diesels report long life and excellent cold cranking with the optima.

Now I wouldn't put an Optima in my wifes Saturn or my old F-150. Neither of these applications is very hard on a battery and two or more Wally World batteries can be had for the price of a Optima.

/ Optima Batteries-Good or Bad #5  
I would endorse the Optima product.

I used a Red-Top in my old F250, which sometimes supported use of our camper also. It worked great. I had it for a couple years before selling the truck. The new truck(2 years old) has not required batteries yet, but I will probably run optima's when I need new batteries.

My B-in-law has twin yellow-top Optima's in his Jeep. They are at least 8 years old now, and still work good. He has done a fair amount of winching, with good results. He also had a winch power cable rub through the insulation, causing a massive short(smoke, sparks,, popping from the sparks!). He was on a rough trail section when it happened, and it took him a few minutes to isolate the problem and disconnect the batteries. After repairing the power cable and hooking stuff back up, he fired right up and tooled on down the trail. That was about four years ago.

Many of the Medic units and Battalion Chief's rigs in the fire district where I used to work run Optima's for the heavy lighting and radio loading. That's a good endorsement right there.

This is of course, just an opinion, but backed by some expierience. They are worth the extra cost, and do last a long time. Ammortized over time, it is a decent deal for a strong battery.

/ Optima Batteries-Good or Bad #6  
I use three Blue-Top Marine batteries in my boat and I like them. I can always draw 2 of them down until they are dead and they charge right back up just using the alternator. However, I do find that the Amp-Hour rating on these batteries is low compared to a sealed lead-acid AGM battery of a similar size. This means that I can't get as much time from them with the boat turned off.

For a tractor application, you would not have this problem and they would work great. Especially great for tractors because they are more resistant to vibration.

The red-top batteries would do the trick if you are never running off the battery when the tractor is off. If you are running lights and other devices with the tractor off, then you should go for the yellow-top.

Here is a link to the Optima Battery site.

Optima Batteries

/ Optima Batteries-Good or Bad #7  
there's some dry cell battery's they use on aircraft that i've checked into they claim to have a 7yr life sealed and extremely durable they use them exclusively on top fuel top alky teams on 36-48v configurations.

I've heard the optima type battery's are pretty good due to there spiral construction,vibration resistance and sealed tech..all the hot rodder's switched to them decently priced also all the battery's i've torched is due to the water boiling out when i charge them deep discharged after buying $267 worth of battery charger's that's what i'm going to or a dry cell type one and all my lawn mower battery's i had on my ford 17lgt the plates shorted out due to vibaration i quess 5600rpm is a little high for a kohler cause it eventualy threw a driveline took out the fuel tank and engine plate

/ Optima Batteries-Good or Bad
I certainly appreciate the input. Obviously, they are excellent batteries.

I did notice on Optima's website that the group 31 blue top batteries have a provision for a hose to vent gases and the others don't. Maybe I should get a yellow top for my camper. The battery is in a side compartment with an aluminum door. The gas would probably be detrimental to the aluminum.

/ Optima Batteries-Good or Bad #9  
I have been running an Red Top Optima Battery for about 8 years. I started it out in my '87 Toyota 4x4. I got it because I was constantly replacing batteries about every 6 months. I put the Optima in and never had to replace it again. When I sold the Toyota about 3 years ago I took the battery out and put it in my '91 Jeep Wrangler. I use my Jeep for off roading so it is not driven alot. It is used for starting and winching. I have never had any problems with it. It always starts right up. I keep meaning to set up dual batteries in my Jeep for winching but I have not got around to it yet. When I do I will add a second Optima probably a yellow top or a blue top. These were not available when I bought the red top.

/ Optima Batteries-Good or Bad #10  
This is the only battery I replace with If I can help it. They cost a few bucks more but to me the peace of mind is definately worth it considering the places I go with my truck.