Turf vs R1 vs R4?

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #71  
I'm not too interested in reviving an old thread just for the sake of discussing "Turf vs R1 vs R4" however I'm quite disappointed in not hearing about Michelin XM27 radials and the like. I wonder if anyone else on the Forum has got themselves into these over the last year?

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #72  
OK, I'll light this one back up, after all these years.

Anybody running R1W's ? Comments, esp. re. experiences with R1W vs R1 ?

Rgds, D.

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #73  
Tractor use should dictate tire choice.

If you are going to mow mostly, turf tires
If you are going to operate on solid surface (blacktop, asphalt) or use the FEL primarily, R4 industrial is a good option
If you are going to do field work, Ag tires are a good option.

Most of us will have to figure out the tire for the primary use and how that impacts the secondary uses.

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #74  
Tractor use should dictate tire choice.

If you are going to mow mostly, turf tires
If you are going to operate on solid surface (blacktop, asphalt) or use the FEL primarily, R4 industrial is a good option
If you are going to do field work, Ag tires are a good option.

Most of us will have to figure out the tire for the primary use and how that impacts the secondary uses.

I agree with your breakdown John.

Years back, I used to help friends and family on their farms. All those tractors ran R1's - I liked them and when I wear my turfs out or win a lottery I had been planning on buying R1's for my field/trail mixed use. Not worried about mowing issues.

I suspect the R1W are a little better in mud (always a good thing), a little lumpier on the road (I can live with that), and cause less compaction.

But, until I read this thread, I didn't know the R1W option existed. I get the impression that they are more common in Europe (?).

As an analogy, it took me a few years/shoes to figure out that I liked Nike Trail running shoes as opposed to their street running shoes. Unless I win that lottery, I likely won't live long enough to try both R1's and R1W's on this tractor !

Rgds, D.

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #75  
11 years later and we're still googling up the same threads. Uhg. Looks like turfs and chains for my soon to be my gc1710. I had gone from turfs to Ags on my deere 425 and regretted it during the winter.

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #76  
11 years later and we're still googling up the same threads. Uhg. Looks like turfs and chains for my soon to be my gc1710. I had gone from turfs to Ags on my deere 425 and regretted it during the winter.

Better than starting a new thread on it! :D

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #77  
Long live the tire thread, BUMP...:laughing: