Turf vs R1 vs R4?

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #1  

Knute

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510
This isn't exactly a "which is best" question, but instead a which tire is best under what conditions? Obviously the turf tires are needed when you must avoid tearing up a lawn, but when would you want to use R1 vs R4? It seems that the R4 have less agressive lugs and are wider, better used in soft soil areas?

Thanks for your opinions,

John

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #2  
If your main need is all out traction then get the R-1 tires,the R-4 tires are not as agressive as the R-1 tires but more aggressive than the turf tires,the R-4 are more of a loader type tire,but a good heavy built tire.

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #3  
I have a similar question.

First, I plan to use my tractor to convert pasture to lawn (rotary cutter, disc harrow, chain harrow, spreader, etc.). After that, I will mostly be mowing, clearing snow and maintaining a dirt road.

Which would be better for the above conditions? R3 Turf or R4 Industrial?

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #4  
I have had R1 and R4 on two different tractors. The R1's did not tear up the yard any more than the R4's if they did not slip.Once they slip either will dig. The straight ahead damage is minimal.The R4's can be run on pavement longer without damage.One important item(to me at least), was the SIDEWAYS traction. The R4's will slide sideways MUCH easier than R1's.If you cut on an incline this may become important to you too.I can not cut the front bank of my lawn with my present tractor with R4's (even if dry) because the tractor will slide sideways, if I try to correct it will start to dig and then I have damage

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #5  
If heavy loader work on real hard surfaces such as concrete or asphalt, the get R-4's. If you are doing a lot of ground engaging work, plowing, blading, mowing on steep hill etc., the get R-1''s. The R-1's are more slip resistant and will get better traction on anything short of concrete.

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #6  
I have a Kubota B7500HST with R4's and a Ford 1210 hydro with R1's. These are similar weight tractors according to the manufacturer's specs, although Kubota allegedly weighs the tractor dry and without tires. The R1's didn't seem to hold up real well on blactop, so due to that and the fact the Kubota has a FEL, I went R4 on it. I previously owned a Cub 154 Lowboy (2WD) with turfs, and without chains, you didn't go at all in the snow. Wet grass could be a challenge sometimes.

The R1's don't seem to fill with mud as much as the R4's.

Neither type chew up the grass unless the ground is wet, or you make a tight turn (particularly in 4WD)

The Ford handles a 5' rear blade in the snow about the same way the Kubota does a 6 footer.

There are places I need to tap the Ford into 4WD or raise the RFM to back up some hills. Neither is necessary with the Kubota. I don't notice much of a difference on sidehills.

Right now I'm replacing the R1's on the Ford with another set of R1's. I wouldn't be afraid to go with R4's instead, but it would require replacing the wheels as well.

I've had the Ford for around 9 years and the Kubota for about 1-1/2 years (220 hours and counting on the 'Bota, many more on the Ford). With the snow, dirt, etc. around here, I can't say there's a big difference in performance between the two types......................chim

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #7  
My R4s can and do cause plenty of damage. Keeping the tractor in 4WD helps but if I run over the same area several times the grass will allways get torn up. I guess what Iam saying is, for me, R1s would be out of the question. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #8  
any tire will tear up a lawn, if it is wet enough, or you are going to fast or i 4wd. i run R4's and like them. a nice compomise. use them for plowing a lot of snow. only time ags would be better is in mud and if is that wet i stay in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif usually when i run out of traction it is NOT because of the tires but because the tractor is to light. these of course are just mho's

/ Turf vs R1 vs R4? #9  
Most of the time I am pretty happy with the R4s on my B2910 Kubota...but when they pack up with mud and I just spin...then I think I might rather have the R1s.

BUT since I don't get into that kind of situation all the time, the R4s are likely the best compromise for me...

I kind of wish I could try a set of R1s just to see how much difference they really make!