3pt lift height

/ 3pt lift height #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
I am a novice when it comes to tractors and asked a question awhile back about the lifting height of my 3pt hitch. After a brief discussion, it appeared to me that it was working fine. Then yesterday, I was working a PHD and for most of the day it was only 2 to 3 inches off the ground at full lift. Then all of a sudden I was able to get it 12 to 14 inches off the ground. I went around back and saw the triangular item in the first picture as it is. After looking at it it appears to attach to the upper 3pt arm like in the second photo and is held in place with a C clip on a post. This appears to be some sort of adjustable governor, if you will, to stop the 3 pt from lifting to full height. Is this what it is? And if so, why would you limit the height it can lift? My tractor is a JD 4300.

image-1103522563.jpg

image-1293467953.jpg

/ 3pt lift height #2  
I am a novice when it comes to tractors and asked a question awhile back about the lifting height of my 3pt hitch. After a brief discussion, it appeared to me that it was working fine. Then yesterday, I was working a PHD and for most of the day it was only 2 to 3 inches off the ground at full lift. Then all of a sudden I was able to get it 12 to 14 inches off the ground. I went around back and saw the triangular item in the first picture as it is. After looking at it it appears to attach to the upper 3pt arm like in the second photo and is held in place with a C clip on a post. This appears to be some sort of adjustable governor, if you will, to stop the 3 pt from lifting to full height. Is this what it is? And if so, why would you limit the height it can lift? My tractor is a JD 4300.
Picture????

/ 3pt lift height #4  
Pics finally came thru. It does appear to be some sort of adjustment, but I'm not familiar with your machine.

/ 3pt lift height
Thanks, I thought so. Hopefully some of the more experienced members or a member with the same machine will chime in.

/ 3pt lift height #6  
Might have better luck reposting this in the John Deere section. Have you checked your manual? It should say something about your tractor and adjustments.

/ 3pt lift height
Don87 said:
Might have better luck reposting this in the John Deere section. Have you checked your manual? It should say something about your tractor and adjustments.

I thought of that after posting it. If I don't get any responses, I will take your advice and put it in the JD section. My manual isn't with me at the moment and I don't recall anything mentioned about that part. I could try to look it up on the Deere website but was hoping some of the members here would have an explanation.

/ 3pt lift height #8  
That is the position control feedback, it might need adjusting if it won't lift to full height when it is hooked up.

/ 3pt lift height
jenkinsph said:
That is the position control feedback, it might need adjusting if it won't lift to full height when it is hooked up.

Thanks!! I just looked up that part on the JD website and that is exactly what it is. I just don't know why the previous owner would have had it adjusted to restrict the 3pt so much. I will re attach and adjust it. The only thing I can think of is there is a set of rear remotes and the upper arms get pretty close to the hydro lines when at full lift. I will have to make sure there is clearance and set it accordingly. Thanks again.

/ 3pt lift height #10  
Thanks!! I just looked up that part on the JD website and that is exactly what it is. I just don't know why the previous owner would have had it adjusted to restrict the 3pt so much. I will re attach and adjust it. The only thing I can think of is there is a set of rear remotes and the upper arms get pretty close to the hydro lines when at full lift. I will have to make sure there is clearance and set it accordingly. Thanks again.
Be sure to check constantly, because you stated that your lift height changed by itself.