Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

Default Re: Observations from North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Xfaxman View Post
    Yep, it has a cab air filter and heat and A/C.

The view out the windshield while brush hogging
    Attachment 314305 Attachment 314306 Attachment 314307 Attachment 314308
    In another thread, we've been talking about about cutting hay with a rotary mower equiped with a removable side panel. One of the disadvantages of doing this with a tractor is that the tires push down crops with fragile stems. The skid steer mower, with only a pivot wheel in front, should do a much better job of this.

Tractor
    Kubota L4610, ZD21, RTV900, B2630

Tractors are cheaper than skid steers (especially tracked units) purchase and maintenance wise. We have a small rural county and they use tractors for mowing, grading roads (gravel roads) and some loading and leveling. Cost is the big factor, a small rural county cannot afford many pieces of expensive equipment. They do have dozers, graders, end loaders, dump trucks and other equipment but the tractor uses less fuel and still gets the job done and parts are cheaper. So when they can use a tractor they do.

About the only difference between here and Appalachia is the terrain. We have rednecks here also (me included) but we are happy and would get along fine with the "good ole boys" from south of the Mason Dixon line. In fact if you look at a map, Southern Illinois is further south than most of Kentucky. When you cross the state line into Kentucky we even sound alike.
    RB

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

Somehow, I think that would take a little getting used to. (The view, and direction of work, not the A/C in the cab!)
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Dozernut View Post
    About the only difference between here and Appalachia is the terrain. We have rednecks here also (me included) but we are happy and would get along fine with the "good ole boys" from south of the Mason Dixon line. In fact if you look at a map, Southern Illinois is further south than most of Kentucky. When you cross the state line into Kentucky we even sound alike.
    Once when I worked with a lady from somewhere up north. I commented that she sounded like one of us, she said she was from a misplaced southern state. It might have been Illinois, wish I could remember.

Tractor
    JD 4105. 375 Backhoe. 2005 Polaris Ranger

One other thing I forgot to mention were the cemeteries. Almost all hat I passed that I could see equipment at was a 30 or so hp tractor with a backhoe to dig the graves. I actually went by while one was being dug. It was a JD3320 with a 375 hoe. I have never seen that in CT. A mini or a 410 or something usually does them from what I have noticed. Maybe it is just a cost thing?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Perhaps they had a 410 and went with something smaller when they found the replacement cost...

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    john deeere 855

BuzzardA91

Here in Ct. The cost is passed on to the taxpayer so they get the biggest more expensive tractor.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardA91 View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention were the cemeteries. Almost all hat I passed that I could see equipment at was a 30 or so hp tractor with a backhoe to dig the graves. I actually went by while one was being dug. It was a JD3320 with a 375 hoe. I have never seen that in CT. A mini or a 410 or something usually does them from what I have noticed. Maybe it is just a cost thing?
    Could be trying to dig a grave in frozen ground with a CUT would be a challenge? Something they don't need to worry about further south.

In the old days, bodies were left in a chapel/crypt until the ground thawed. The service berry shrub, gets that common name from the idea that when it bloomed, it was time to dig the graves of the dead stored during winter.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    JD 4105. 375 Backhoe. 2005 Polaris Ranger

Dave- never thought of the frost, makes sense.

Dabsgt- you know it, only the best. We are paying for it, no doubt.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

It would be a real ha ha to be digging a grave with a CUT and hit a New England worthy boulder at about 4' down. You aren't going to just move over to a better spot, or dig a trench across the cemetery to wrangle the thing out with a small machine.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast