Observations from North Carolina

/ Observations from North Carolina #31  
It would be a real ha ha to be digging a grave with a CUT and hit a New England worthy boulder at about 4' down. :laughing: You aren't going to just move over to a better spot, or dig a trench across the cemetery to wrangle the thing out with a small machine.

Dave, if you can believe it there is a small cemetery in my town that when there is the occasional grave to be opened it is still by hand. When frost or frozen they place a large heated pad over the area which is run by generator over night to defrost. If I didn't see it I would not have believed it.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Observations from North Carolina #32  
Dave, if you can believe it there is a small cemetery in my town that when there is the occasional grave to be opened it is still by hand. When frost or frozen they place a large heated pad over the area which is run by generator over night to defrost. If I didn't see it I would not have believed it.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

I wouldn't have guessed anybody hand dug graves these days. I suppose in an old cemetery that is pretty full, and laid out back in the Civil War days or earlier, that may be the only way to do it without destroying something.

/ Observations from North Carolina #33  
One thing to note is that Wilmington is very near the coast and in the southeastern corner of NC. Digging rarely hits rock. The soil is sandy and loamy dependent on where you are.

As far as NC Rednecks, I are one!

/ Observations from North Carolina #34  
Wilmington is probably below the fall line in an area that used to be beneath the ocean. My father grew up below the fall line. When he was a kid, he had to break up plow points to have something to shoot in his sling shot.