Water separator on a Ford 1510

/ Water separator on a Ford 1510 #1  

MikeA57

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1510
Got out yesterday afternoon and did some maintenance on my tractor. Drained the oil & pulled the oil and air filters. I got to looking at the fuel filter too and noticed that it didn't have a water separator. I was wondering if that would be something beneficial to add? What would I look for at the store? Oh yeah, and what specifically do I need to look for in a new inline fuel filter? Do they make a combo fuel filter/water separator?

Thanks,

Mike

/ Water separator on a Ford 1510 #2  
a water separator on it would be good to have and is a simple inline addition to the filter you have now.... here is one for under $50 and has a bowl where you can see whats getting in there. This one is a cat version, perkins also has a shorter version but it looks basically the same. Filters for either can be found at most any truck supply store.

Caterpillar Fuel Water Seperator | eBay

/ Water separator on a Ford 1510 #3  
Got out yesterday afternoon and did some maintenance on my tractor. Drained the oil & pulled the oil and air filters. I got to looking at the fuel filter too and noticed that it didn't have a water separator. I was wondering if that would be something beneficial to add? What would I look for at the store? Oh yeah, and what specifically do I need to look for in a new inline fuel filter? Do they make a combo fuel filter/water separator?
Thanks,

Mike

Most diesel fuel filters have a drain fitting on the filter housing at the bottom since the filter housing is also designed toact as water separator. The drain fitting is to drain off any water that might settle out in the filter housing. You can check this by draining off some fuel in a clear jar and looking for water on at the bottom.

If you don't have a drain fitting at the bottom of your filter housing and you have a problem with water in the fuel (high humidity climate or contaminated fuel) by all means consider a water separator.