temporary boom for FIL

/ temporary boom for FIL #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
Needed to pick up the middle of a rebar mat for a slab I am pouring and FIL would not reach. I laid a piece of square tubing under the bucket and ran a chain over the top of the bucket, one end looped around the tube behind the bucket, the other end in front of the bucket. Tightened it with a binder and it stuck out 3' in front of the bucket. Looped a chain over it and it worked well. Would not work for anything heavy but it got me out of a jam.

/ temporary boom for FIL #2  
I am sure your wife would not like you doing that to her father, but you have to use what you can when your father in law won't reach!!! ;)

/ temporary boom for FIL #3  
It would be simpler to use a jack to lift the mat, drive rebar stakes and tie the mat off to the stakes to hold it up. A high lift farm jack has a small footprint and will likely fit inside the grid on the grade or fill gravel. The rebar stakes shouldn't compromise the integrity of the slab.

I do realize my suggestion defeats the "one more reason to have a tractor" position - especially when "I just wanted one" isn't endorsed wholeheartedly by the wife and using the FEL will save her father.

/ temporary boom for FIL
I guess my abbreviations are a little off but I hope you get the picture. Thanks for the idea Ted, I just put pieces of brick under the rebar that will stay in the pour, and besides I already have the tractor.

/ temporary boom for FIL #5  
I've used a Gin Pole for raising beams and poles in barn construction. Very handy.

/ temporary boom for FIL #6  
Reminds me of my temporary boom. I used a piece of square tubing bolted through the drain hole on the dumper to set a concrete cattle guard in place.

P5280007.JPG P5280005.JPG

P5280009.JPG

/ temporary boom for FIL #7  
Reminds me of my temporary boom. I used a piece of square tubing bolted through the drain hole on the dumper to set a concrete cattle guard in place.
The concrete guys who did our barn floor had something like that which bolted into the floor of their tracked dumper which they used to lift the power float and carry it from the trailer to the slab.

Aaron Z

/ temporary boom for FIL #8  
I made a boom for my front end loader by taking a 3 inch well drilling pipe and cutting of s piece to just a smidge under the width of the bucket and then welding on a 20 foot piece of 3 inch pipe in the middle, To make a tee. (T). I then welded a hook about 10 feet out on the long arm and use it to attach a chain to. At the long end of the pole I split it top and bottom about 6 inches back from the end and using a sledge I flattened the end and drilled a hole for a shackle.
The boom pole works great. Super easy to install and use.

/ temporary boom for FIL #9  
I have a quick attach FEL round bale hay spike. Made a boom pole from pipe that would slip over spike and a flange with bolt hole to bolt to FEL. Reinforced pipe and placed attachment at end to chain to.

just used it all one day to lift bunches of fallen dead snags from off of fences with chains. Snout reaches in over stuff on ground for very handy push/pull/lift capability. dead trees everywhere from years of extreme drought.