Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

Default temporary boom for FIL

Needed to pick up the middle of a rebar mat for a slab I am pouring and FIL would not reach. I laid a piece of square tubing under the bucket and ran a chain over the top of the bucket, one end looped around the tube behind the bucket, the other end in front of the bucket. Tightened it with a binder and it stuck out 3' in front of the bucket. Looped a chain over it and it worked well. Would not work for anything heavy but it got me out of a jam.

Tractor
    TYM 227hst

I am sure your wife would not like you doing that to her father, but you have to use what you can when your father in law won't reach!!!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135

Default Re: temporary boom for FIL

It would be simpler to use a jack to lift the mat, drive rebar stakes and tie the mat off to the stakes to hold it up. A high lift farm jack has a small footprint and will likely fit inside the grid on the grade or fill gravel. The rebar stakes shouldn't compromise the integrity of the slab.

I do realize my suggestion defeats the "one more reason to have a tractor" position - especially when "I just wanted one" isn't endorsed wholeheartedly by the wife and using the FEL will save her father.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

I guess my abbreviations are a little off but I hope you get the picture. Thanks for the idea Ted, I just put pieces of brick under the rebar that will stay in the pour, and besides I already have the tractor.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    09' Kubota b3200HST

I've used a Gin Pole for raising beams and poles in barn construction. Very handy.

Tractor
    Bobcat V417 Toolcat 5610 F TORO+Loader

Reminds me of my temporary boom. I used a piece of square tubing bolted through the drain hole on the dumper to set a concrete cattle guard in place.

-p5280007-jpg -p5280005-jpg

-p5280009-jpg

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Xfaxman View Post
    Reminds me of my temporary boom. I used a piece of square tubing bolted through the drain hole on the dumper to set a concrete cattle guard in place.
    The concrete guys who did our barn floor had something like that which bolted into the floor of their tracked dumper which they used to lift the power float and carry it from the trailer to the slab.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

I made a boom for my front end loader by taking a 3 inch well drilling pipe and cutting of s piece to just a smidge under the width of the bucket and then welding on a 20 foot piece of 3 inch pipe in the middle, To make a tee. (T). I then welded a hook about 10 feet out on the long arm and use it to attach a chain to. At the long end of the pole I split it top and bottom about 6 inches back from the end and using a sledge I flattened the end and drilled a hole for a shackle.
    The boom pole works great. Super easy to install and use.

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

I have a quick attach FEL round bale hay spike. Made a boom pole from pipe that would slip over spike and a flange with bolt hole to bolt to FEL. Reinforced pipe and placed attachment at end to chain to.

just used it all one day to lift bunches of fallen dead snags from off of fences with chains. Snout reaches in over stuff on ground for very handy push/pull/lift capability. dead trees everywhere from years of extreme drought.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140