Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3700SU

Default Re: about the cost of john deere

JD Pricing? How about a $17,000 lawn mower??

The Rolls-Royce of riding mowers - MarketWatch

I guess the trade in value on that baby will be sufficient to justify the price......

Veteran Member

"at least 3x as much for the JD". I'm not so sure about that. We tried to trade a primo X720 on a X740 diesel and they wanted to allow us $6500. Now ours didn't have a front blade or tiller but it only has 199 hours on and looks like new. I realize the X740 was deeply discounted but when they said $17,500 for the 1026R with 60" mower and FEL I just couldn't see putting $11K into it. The biggest advantage the 1026R has over the BX is the hydro foot pedal arrangement and the auto connect deck. Personally I like the compactness of the hood on the kubota but or sure we could get use to the reverse pedal being so far away from the forward pedal. The treadle pedal is great on the L3940, too bad they didn't adopt that to the BX.

For $11K she could put a loader on the JD 5065M and put wheel weights and a rear SCV and a third function on the loader for a grapple. Maybe even the grapple too. The used BX's around here are bringing within $2-4K what the new ones are. The 1026R hasn't been on the market long enough to see what resale is going to be in 10 years.
    '14 Kubota MX5100 w/FEL & 3rd Func.
    '11 John Deere 5065M /cab
    '10 Kubota L3940 w/FEL
    '09 JD X720
    '91 CaseIH 5140 Maxxum w/cab
    '78 IH 686 w/M&W Turbo 106 PTO hp w/canopy

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by nwltruck View Post
    Don't know about resale. One big reason I went with JD is that I can go to a Deere dealer and get parts for a 40 year old machine. I figure I'm good if I brake something in the future. Besides there are no Bota dealers I my area.
    Sure you can get parts for a USA made 40 year old Deere, but do you honestly think that you will be able to get parts for your Chinese or India made JD 40 years from now, 20 year, how about 10 years. The compact tractor companies that farm out their name to lesser know manufacturers to make their tractors wont/cant guarantee parts for 40 years as they don't make them or the tractor and are at the mercy of Korean, Chinese, Indian or other 3rd World manufacturer to provide parts support. They will do this as long as it is profitable for them, but if JD or other USA big name cancels their manufacturing contract, there is nothing that obligates them to make parts for the tractors that were sold as John Deere, Massey Ferguson, New Holland, Case IH or any other brand.. Massey Ferguson had a model (1010 I think but memory isn't that long anymore) that was obsolete in 5 years, couldn't get any parts because the Japanese factory quit making them.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    '07 John Deere 3320

JD has been farming out production for longer than you think. Many on the implements were just painted green and you can still get parts. I personally looked at kabotas and many other tractors before buying mine. Found mine used for a good price, just not a lot of good used cuts in my area. Parts and dealer availability were just one factor.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

JD has been farming out production for longer than you think. Many on the implements were just painted green and you can still get parts. I personally looked at kabotas and many other tractors before buying mine. Found mine used for a good price, just not a lot of good used cuts in my area. Parts and dealer availability were just one factor.
    How about a replacement output shaft for a MX6 bushhog? http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...deere-mx6.html

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    '07 John Deere 3320

As far as I understand the parts are available. Just updated. Never said the parts would be cheap just available.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    How about a replacement output shaft for a MX6 bushhog? http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...deere-mx6.html Aaron Z
    Aaron is correct. Purchasing a whole new gear box, stump jumper etc., is not what I call stocking "parts" when you only need the output shaft.

That said I will continue to consider purchasing JD equipment, except for cutters.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

As far as I understand the parts are available. Just updated. Never said the parts would be cheap just available.
    As greasemonkeyok said the only "fix" is to replace the entire gearbox and stump jumper pan for $1400 in parts (not counting labor) on a $3k mower with a broken output shaft. That is not exactly "stocking parts".

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2001 New Holland TN70,2003 John Deere 250 Series II skidsteer,1987 John Deere 2155,2013 John Deere 5055E MFWD,2007 Duramax 4x4 truck, 1973 MF 165,Artic Cat 550 Cougar sled

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    Sure you can get parts for a USA made 40 year old Deere, but do you honestly think that you will be able to get parts for your Chinese or India made JD 40 years from now, 20 year, how about 10 years. The compact tractor companies that farm out their name to lesser know manufacturers to make their tractors wont/cant guarantee parts for 40 years as they don't make them or the tractor and are at the mercy of Korean, Chinese, Indian or other 3rd World manufacturer to provide parts support. They will do this as long as it is profitable for them, but if JD or other USA big name cancels their manufacturing contract, there is nothing that obligates them to make parts for the tractors that were sold as John Deere, Massey Ferguson, New Holland, Case IH or any other brand.. Massey Ferguson had a model (1010 I think but memory isn't that long anymore) that was obsolete in 5 years, couldn't get any parts because the Japanese factory quit making them.
    I do not see Deere or any other bigger manufacture having issues even if the company they outsource tractors to closes. There is someone that will make the part for them especially if the tractor model was somewhat popular and lets not forget deere now owns a parts company. I read somewhere at one time there has been well over 150 tractor manufactures in US and about all of them went out of business. People demand allot from a tractor but not near as much as they did 30 to 60 years ago. The tractors I see parts being an issue for all most all the time is a tractor brand that comes here from another country and dries up here in about 10 years or less. I read all the time anymore about tractors having bolts breaking and cast breaking that you did not ever hear about from the older machines. People can say what they want but allot of these foreign built tractors are not built up to near the standard the old tractors where and I am including Deere in that bunch.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by fieldman12 View Post
    People can say what they want but allot of these foreign built tractors are not built up to near the standard the old tractors where and I am including Deere in that bunch.
    Its in the US built ones too. IMO, much it is that they can better model the forces on a tractor, so they can use a smaller margin of error which leads to a lighter, cheaper castings/parts and a tractor that is cheaper to build and to buy.

Aaron Z

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast