about the cost of john deere

/ about the cost of john deere #41  
The dealer is a big swing factor. I'm only a couple hours drive from Country Gentlemen and had an opposite experience last fall. I looked at new JD, Kubota and Bobcat and was offering my older JD 850 (2200 hours) on trade. The JD dealer priced a 3320 a few thousand more $ than a Kubota L3540 but I thought the trade-in offer would even the scales (I was leaning towards the JD for sentimental reasons) - I was dead wrong. The Kubota dealer offered me $4K more (Bobcat wasn't interested in the trade) as they said they do a thriving business in used of all types. Then the JD dealer had no interest in moving the price but the Kubota dealer offered some more incentives on the pricing. In the end the gap in price was close to $10k so now I have orange.

There are so many nuances to the business model for each dealer and where they make their money that it really pays to visit your local dealers, variations in experience are large.

/ about the cost of john deere #42  
Be happy with the tractor you got and stop trashing other peoples selection. I put my savings in the bank not in a machine in hope to get it back out later.:confused2:

That should sum things up.

/ about the cost of john deere #43  
I happen to own Deere, but that is because it was actually cheaper than a similar Kubota.

Dealer is a big part of the scenario. In my experience and opinion both are excellent tractors and around here (western Illinois) they seem to have similar resale value.

Being within short distance of Deere international headquarters I am happy to have green equipment in the fields.

/ about the cost of john deere #44  
Be happy with the tractor you got and stop trashing other peoples selection. I put my savings in the bank not in a machine in hope to get it back out later.:confused2:
With todays interest rates both on tractor loans and savings accounts I think putting your money into a new tractor that meets your needs now and ten years from now is a much better investment then putting the same amount of money into the bank. A good tractor of whatever brand you choose will hold it's value against inflation while your savings account is losing ground year on year.

/ about the cost of john deere #45  
A good tractor of whatever brand you choose will hold it's value against inflation while your savings account is losing ground year on year.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I didn't realize my new tractor was going to APPRECIATE at a rate above the 0.5% that I earn in my savings account. So you are telling me my tractor will be worth more next year than it is now?

No offense, but me thinks you are a tad confused on that... :)

/ about the cost of john deere #46  
I went to kubota looking at a L5740 and they wanted to give me $12,000 for trade in for my BX2660, I went to John Deere and they offered me $25,000 for the 2660 for trade in for a 5115M. Makes me wander what Kubota had in mind or that John Deere sees something that Kubota doesn't.

/ about the cost of john deere #47  
Hmmm, that's interesting. I didn't realize my new tractor was going to APPRECIATE at a rate above the 0.5% that I earn in my savings account. So you are telling me my tractor will be worth more next year than it is now?

No offense, but me thinks you are a tad confused on that... :)

Oh perhaps I am. It has been known to happen.

The rate of inflation over the next few years is the key to if I'm right or not. And I mean the real rate of inflation including fuel, food, housing/rents and taxes. The things they conveniently leave out when feeding us a line about how well the economy is doing. At present that is running about six percent so your money in the bank is losing about five and a half percent a year. From some of the posts up thread people have been trading tractors for about seven dollars for each hour on the hour meter. Not exactly appreciation but if the use the owner put the tractor to for those hours had any value they have made out much better then leaving their money in the bank or in the hands of their stock broker.
Also with the amount of money they have printed recently the rate of inflation is set to go through the roof and make the Carter days of fifteen percent inflation seem tame.

/ about the cost of john deere #48  
Have read several posts about john deere being more expensive than other makes. No one seems to be taking into consideration resale value. Here I Alberta, Canada the difference in cost between my 1026r and a kubota bx2660 was only $1000.00. 10 years from now the 1026 will be worth at least 3 times the value of the kubota. So in the long run the 1026 is cheaper. Example: I traded my 15 yr old ( 775 hrs ) 445 with 54" mower, 54" front blade, 48" tiller on the 1026r. jd dealer gave me $6000.00 trade in. most Kubota dealers don't even want to take their own equipment back on trade, and the ones that do don't give much on trade. Also it does pay to shop around at different dealers. I have 2 jd dealers about the same distance from home, the dealer I bought from was $1553.00 cheaper for the 1026r than the other one ( which I had bought my 445 from ). My old 445 was still running like new, the reason I upgraded was because my 54" blower for that tractor blew up ( gear box ) and wasn't worth fixing. jd had an excelent sale on, about $3500.00 off the regular price for the tractor and all the attatchments I bought, so rather than buying a new blower for the old tractor , the sale price along with the great trade in price made the new tractor a great deal. Here in Canada snow blowers get overworked...lol.

It absolutely pays to shop around at different dealers, even if the different dealers fall under the same ownership. When I was shopping for my tractor, I went to three JD dealers within a 30 minute drive from my house. They all have the same name and they're all owned by the same people. I got three different prices for the same tractor and the price I paid was more than $650 less than the price I got at the first dealer.

/ about the cost of john deere #49  
I went to kubota looking at a L5740 and they wanted to give me $12,000 for trade in for my BX2660, I went to John Deere and they offered me $25,000 for the 2660 for trade in for a 5115M. Makes me wander what Kubota had in mind or that John Deere sees something that Kubota doesn't.
$25k? Did you have gold in your ballast box? A NEW one with a 60" deck, loader, 50" front blower and canopy lists for $24k on the build your own.

Aaron Z

/ about the cost of john deere #50  
$25k? Did you have gold in your ballast box? A NEW one with a 60" deck, loader, 50" front blower and canopy lists for $24k on the build your own.

Aaron Z

It has a cab on it with plumbed in heat and lights, rear mower, FEL with teeth, ballast box, box blade, 1 set of industrial tires and 1 set of ag's (front is foam filled) a second set of rear ag's. it also has a rear blade, front mount snowblower with hydraulic chute and electric deflector. And it has 442hrs.