about the cost of john deere

/ about the cost of john deere #81  
... Something the Deere dealer did, however, that may eventually influence my purchase decision was downgrade every other brand. He sounded like a politician. He didn't talk about his low cost service parts or stuff like that. Kubota is toy stuff only hobby farmers would consider. Case IH and New Holland are owned by Fiat and who would want anything related to Italy. The more I have thought about it the more I am convinced Deere is out of my purchase picture.

I could not agree with you any more. I was completely turned off by a couple of dealers who did exactly what you mentioned when I was shopping for my first tractor. All of the tractors I was looking at, all of them, were good quality tractors. They all had advantages and disadvantages, all of them. If you want to point out a specific weakness of one brand over another, and highlight the strengths of your brand that's great. However relying solely upon your brand name to sell your tractor simply isn't enough to earn my money.

/ about the cost of john deere #82  
All I will say is, anyone so concerned about potential resale value 10 years from now needs to just give me all the extra money they are going to "invest" on green. I'll make way more with it than they will. Just goofy if you ask me. You need to believe a tractor is worth what you are paying now and be willing to part with the cash. If so, enjoy. If not, don't count on tomorrow to justify the decisions of today.....at least not when buying a tractor.
You misunderstand me if you think I plan on selling my tractor in five or ten years. I plan on having it paid for and in good working order and fully capable of meeting my needs for as long as I live. I do expect that an equal tractor bought new in 2024 will cost upwards of $100,000 in 2024 dollars and my used but not abused tractor will be worth $50,000 and a loaf of bread will cost $10.00
Silly you might say but my first full time job paid $8500 a year and my first new car cost $4200. (1975)

/ about the cost of john deere #83  
I took over 2 years of researching before I bought my first tractor. I sat up nights reading brochures comparing every last difference in spec vs price. I finally dwindled the list to JD, Kubota and Mahindra. For the size of what I wanted, the Mahindra was the best bang for the buck but after doing a bunch of research, I didn't find alot of interest on the brand for resale. Many tractor owners never even heard of Mahindra. That finally put my choices between JD and Kubota.

After a few more months of research, and just comparing specs, the JD was a few thousand more than the Kubota. Around NH, Kubota's are reputable and sought after. I finally decided to buy a Kubota because of the price on the specs of similar models to other brands. I am happy with it and probably won't sell it anyway. :thumbsup:

/ about the cost of john deere #84  
Not completely true (at least not around here.) you will see mix and match everywhere. I have a JD tractor and a black no name disc and a yellowish king kutter grading scrapper, etc. You will see a lot of it out here, farmers don't seem to care about color here as long as it works.

Plus the kubota dealer wanted way more for their tractors than John Deere did (case is a different storey you need to pay an arm and a leg plus a little more for their version of the same tractor.)[/QUOTE

"Farmers", that's the key word. Most of the people on TBN are not farmers. Some may have a small ranchet but until they file taxes as farming it ain't so. When equipment is purchased it is done with an accountants input.
I was raised on farms and ranches that had a mix of equipment. From AC G's to Steiger. With every color and configuration of equipment in between. What I'm saying is the Median income of most people on TBN is a little higher than most. Majority own their land and when they purchase equipment Mama has a big say in it. First time buyers of John Deere have a tender spot for the ones they or family members owned. When they can afford to buy their dream property they want what they grew up with. (By the way John Deere makes this a big part of marketing to people).

/ about the cost of john deere #85  
Couple of thoughts...
Around here Kubota is the dominate under 40 HP brand and has high resale...
Over 40 HP and it is Case/NH, Deere, and then to a lesser extent Massey...
Most of the time resale is a function of dealer presence and support...
My daddy sold Allis Chalmers for over 25 years and those old machines still fetch decent prices at auctions around here because there are so many...
Parts support for those older Allis's and Fords are gonna be better than some of the newer models because they made large quantities of those older machines...
Buy what you like and use what you buy...
And never trade...
Just keep buying...
The man that wins ends up with the most toys...

/ about the cost of john deere #86  
With todays interest rates both on tractor loans and savings accounts I think putting your money into a new tractor that meets your needs now and ten years from now is a much better investment then putting the same amount of money into the bank. A good tractor of whatever brand you choose will hold it's value against inflation while your savings account is losing ground year on year.

I'm with you on this one.

/ about the cost of john deere #87  
I'm with you on this one.

I was hoping I wasn't alone in this way of thinking. :).
Of course there is a limit to how much or how many tractors you can make real use of so you can't put all your ill gotten gains into tractors. After that other hard assets you use on a regular basis that are durable are on my list. More land would be top of the list if it weren't for the taxes that seem to be forever increasing faster then income. Having more then enough property tax bill in hand each year I’ve turned toward acquiring a full set of implements for the tractor for both wood harvesting and food production as I already have a basic tool set including chain saws , splitter and most everything else a well stocked homestead in the country needs in a years time.

/ about the cost of john deere #88  
Around here the JD will sell for more money than a comparable Kubota. I run mostly John Deere but I have had several Kubotas. I have absolutely no complaints about Kubota.