about the cost of john deere

/ about the cost of john deere #1  

country gentleman

Tractor
john deere 1026r
Have read several posts about john deere being more expensive than other makes. No one seems to be taking into consideration resale value. Here I Alberta, Canada the difference in cost between my 1026r and a kubota bx2660 was only $1000.00. 10 years from now the 1026 will be worth at least 3 times the value of the kubota. So in the long run the 1026 is cheaper. Example: I traded my 15 yr old ( 775 hrs ) 445 with 54" mower, 54" front blade, 48" tiller on the 1026r. jd dealer gave me $6000.00 trade in. most Kubota dealers don't even want to take their own equipment back on trade, and the ones that do don't give much on trade. Also it does pay to shop around at different dealers. I have 2 jd dealers about the same distance from home, the dealer I bought from was $1553.00 cheaper for the 1026r than the other one ( which I had bought my 445 from ). My old 445 was still running like new, the reason I upgraded was because my 54" blower for that tractor blew up ( gear box ) and wasn't worth fixing. jd had an excelent sale on, about $3500.00 off the regular price for the tractor and all the attatchments I bought, so rather than buying a new blower for the old tractor , the sale price along with the great trade in price made the new tractor a great deal. Here in Canada snow blowers get overworked...lol.

/ about the cost of john deere #2  
Welcome aboard, CG. :thumbsup:

/ about the cost of john deere #3  
Do you have a personal example of an Kubota trade in?

/ about the cost of john deere #4  
Do you have a personal example of an Kubota trade in?
I was going to say something similar. Around here, a Kubota and a Deere (used) run about the same.
The 445s listed on Tractorhouse look to be running $3500-7000 depending on condition and attachments.
The Kubota G2160 and G1900 are also in the same pricerange.

If you get into the used 4x4 subcompacts (BX/B series Kubotas and 655/755/855, etc Deeres) prices are also very similar.

Aaron Z

/ about the cost of john deere #5  
I would guess you havn't priced any used Kubota's.

/ about the cost of john deere #6  
I've priced the BX25D and JD 1025R online, and in the "build your" stuff, the jd prices out about 3-4k more, iirc, it was a few weeks ago. I realize the the "online" price is just the starting point, but from what I've read here (on the site), Deere is not very motivated to discount off the mfsrp. :confused3: As a business decision, I wouldn't either if there's enough demand for my product.

Pretty huge $ difference, to me, when comparing features.

And yes, I've talked with Bradley @ Barlows...he pretty much rules, like all the stuff I read about beforehand. :thumbsup: No such discussion with a JD dealer as of yet.

We're still 1-2 years out, regrettably, but great guy to deal with.

Sorry, if I polluted the thread, please use the "sue" button below if necessarry. :D

/ about the cost of john deere #7  
Be happy with the tractor you got and stop trashing other peoples selection. I put my savings in the bank not in a machine in hope to get it back out later.:confused2:

/ about the cost of john deere #8  
Car dealers take trade-ins to make money.
I have no doubt that the tractor dealers will do the same.

They might overprice the new tractor so that they can overbid on the trade-in. Or, they may lowball on the trade-in, polish it up and sell it at a premium. Or, sometimes, they get incentives to destroy the old vehicles to get them off the market.

Apparently your JD dealer is good with playing the game.
Anything used bigger than a lawnmower seems to have more value than one might expect.

/ about the cost of john deere #9  
I disagree on the Kubota trade-in values. I traded in an '03 Kubota BX2200 for my JD 2720 (should be here tomorrow). The dealer offered $9500 in trade. Yeah, that's soft dollars as there are some rebates and money off from JD, but in hard dollars, on what I could buy the tractor outright for, he gave me $7500 in trade. I paid $10500 10 years ago! That is 71% of original value after 10 years and 420 hours. I don't think you can beat that at all! Now, other dealers weren't near that value, but this dealer treated me right.

As far as new price, I priced out comparable equipped Kubota B2920 and JD 2720 tractors. My dealer sells JD and Kubota, so it is a fair price. The price of the JD was only $1k more. The main reason I went with the JD was the physical size of the tractor. It is just a tad bigger and heavier than the Kubota, and that's what I wanted. After tomorrow, I will have owned both, and can compare both.

I will never badmouth my Kubota as it has treated me well. We'll have to see how the JD does, but when it comes time to buy again, I will definitely consider Kubota again.

/ about the cost of john deere #10  
and let's not forget the 3 most important things...condition condition condition