How Do You Organize Your Shop?

/ How Do You Organize Your Shop? #11  
Personally I hate rattling around in draws looking for things, so I subscribe to the theory if I can't see it ain't going to get used so everthing has its own place hung up on the walls or is visible on open shelves:-
I also have some tools and stuff hung on the wall, like pipe wrenches, T squares, hack saws, a rack for my shovels, rakes and garden hoes, extra heads for my weedeaters, extra lawnmower blades, fuel cans on shelves and of course all my fishing tackle boxes but my tools all have a place in tool boxes and that is where they go back as soon as I finish with them. I could never find anything if I just left it wherever I used it last, like some folks do.

/ How Do You Organize Your Shop? #12  
My shop may look like a mess to everyone else, but at least I know where everything is at.

/ How Do You Organize Your Shop? #13  
I remember once, years ago, I got so frustrated because I couldn't find a tape measure in my shop that I went down to the hardware store, purchased a half dozen more, and scattered them all around the shop. Next week, I wasn't able to locate any of them! Some day, one of my kids will be going around the shop after I'm dead and gone, wondering why did he own at least two of everything?

/ How Do You Organize Your Shop? #14  
In one my past lives, when I raced midgets in Texas back in the 60's, we only had a dirt floor in our shop, which was at one time the stables for the town. You would be working on the car and all of a sudden a tool or part was missing.

Go get the rake, rake the floor, WOW, I wonder when I lost that!

Quite a challenge.

NO, I'm not talking about "little people" :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

/ How Do You Organize Your Shop? #15  
I have a 50' x 30' 2 story garage / shop. I keep stuff organized by keeping similar types of tools in specific areas. Manua hand tools that are big hang on the back wall in bay 2. Tractor attachments and a toolbox for add tractor parts is bay 3. All tools are in Bay 1 hanging on a peg board or in 1 of 2 large toolboxes. I have spare parts below the workbenches in bay 1 and 2 in clearly marked cardboard boxes based on function (electrical, plumbing, spare parts, etc). I keep all the power tools in one corner with plugs. on the second floor my strategy is decidedly unorganized and things are stacked or placed in groups (lumber, pvc, outdoor tools like the wheelbarrel, ice fishing equipment, pool equimpent, etc). The secret is everything is in a set area so if I need to look for it its a very short search. The issue that arises is if I have many projects in flight stuff doesn't always get put back, so what I do now is leave it on the workbench and then periodically put things away every few weeks. Its not perfect, but works for me.

/ How Do You Organize Your Shop? #16  
In one my past lives, when I raced midgets in Texas back in the 60's, we only had a dirt floor in our shop, which was at one time the stables for the town. You would be working on the car and all of a sudden a tool or part was missing.

Go get the rake, rake the floor, WOW, I wonder when I lost that!

Quite a challenge.

NO, I'm not talking about "little people" :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I got really drunk with a bunch of little folk once. Things got weird. Fun, but weird.

/ How Do You Organize Your Shop? #17  
The easiest way to being able to find something is to have drawers clearly marked, but way more important than that, is making sure tools get put back in those drawers in the right places EVERY time.

Brian

That is the best advice.... I have been known on occasion to "hide" as I like to call it, different tools from my self by putting tools back in the tool box but in a different drawer than the tool usually goes..... Luckily, I have caught onto my self and check other drawers when something is not in its place........

My shop also has a dual purpose role as a "garage" also. Normal projects usually just back one vehicle out, "Serious" projects both rigs get the boot.

/ How Do You Organize Your Shop? #18  
My shop is mess. Cob webs and dirt dobber nests everywhere. Dirt and grass all over the floor. Workbench covered with tools and trash. Trash can has been full for a year and I keep cramming stuff in there. No place to put the stuff. Bags of mulch and stuff on the floor and eaten into by rats and leaking out of the bags. Rat turds in every corner. Hardly enough room to turn around. I should just tear it all down and start over.

/ How Do You Organize Your Shop? #19  
My shop is alphabetized.....for example.....if you open my "A" drawer....you will find all of my tools and things that start with the letter "A".....like A screwdriver, A Hammer, A pipe wrench, A saw, A roll of duct tape, A half eaten sandwich, a paintbrush etc...... If I can't find something.....it's usually in the "A" drawer. Oh...did I mention....I have several "A" drawers.:thumbsup:

/ How Do You Organize Your Shop? #20  
bcp and jerrybob your methods made me laugh out loud, thanks for the pickup.