PTO Power?

/ PTO Power? #1  

philurbs

Tractor
John Deere 2320
Hi All, I am thinking of getting a wood chipper for use with my J.D. 2320. The 2320 has an 18 hp pto and the chipper requires a 19 hp pto. How much of an issue is 1 hp? Any experience in this area? Thanks in advance

/ PTO Power? #2  
You will be SLIGHTLY limited on what size wood will fit through it or how fast you can go. In day to day use, you probbaly wont notice a difference.

Aaron Z

/ PTO Power? #3  
What wood chipper? They usually have a range of hp. Typically it will work, you just may need to feed slower or less.

/ PTO Power?
Thanks, Wood Maxx WC 8N entry chipper 8" seems like the best value for the money.

/ PTO Power? #5  
That will be very big for that tractor. I run a wallenstein bx42 chipper on a kubota b2920 (29 hp). I can stall it with a big log. When the hp is low you want the biggest heaviest cutting wheel possible because the momentum will help. The wallenstein has a very heavy cutting wheel. I'm not familiar with the woodmax so cannot offer any assistance there.

Also make sure it will work weight wise with your 3pt lift capacity.

/ PTO Power?
Thanks for the advice. It has a 185 lb flywheel and is within 400 lbs of 3 pt limit, point taken on perhaps outsized for 2320. Does the Wallenstein come in a smaller model? Maybe a 5" to 7" capacity?

Last edited:
   / PTO Power? #7  
Thanks for the advice. It has a 185 lb flywheel and is within 400 lbs of 3 pt limit, point taken on perhaps outsized for 2320. Does the Wallenstein come in a smaller model? Maybe a 5" to 7" capacity?

there is a 4, 6 and 3" I believe. For your tractor you'd want the 3 or 4" model. They do have a wide chute though, so my 4" is a 4 x 10" chute, so there's no trimming and it fits a surprising amount of stuff. Keep in mind with green hard wood you're not going to get much beyond 3 or 4" of capacity with your PTO HP no matter how big the chipper is. Here is a link with some stats on the different models. I looked at a 6" for my tractor and decided against it because i'd be buying extra capacity that I couldn't use. the 4" is just about right. Wallenstein BX42 Woodchipper | PTO Wood Chipper

/ PTO Power?
I will check out the Wallenstein line. Thanks for the advice on wasted size. 4" is firewood anyway ;o)..............philurbs

/ PTO Power? #9  
I will check out the Wallenstein line. Thanks for the advice on wasted size. 4" is firewood anyway ;o)..............philurbs

I did a minute of research on the woodmaxx, looks like its a chinese chipper? I considered some of these, but ultimately didn't want the breakdowns or danger. A good chipper will last virtually forever and isn't something you want to break or have safety problems with. The wallenstein wasn't cheap, but bought used was a great investment. Mine gets heavy use and is a couple years old, i haven't even needed to flip the blades yet. I rarely have something that won't fit, as you say anything that big is good for firewood.

/ PTO Power?
Thanks. for the info. I had read somewhere the WoodMaxx was U.S. made. Thanks for the correction, as I agree with your assessment of chippers made offshore. Anyone out there have experience with other chippers they could share?