Diesel Exhaust as in sucking fumes...

/ Diesel Exhaust as in sucking fumes... #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I've often wondered why most tractors exhaust near the driver's seat and not under and behind like a car?

It would seem the quality of breathable air would be better... especially when working for hours at a time.

I've heard a few comment that the new tier standards have made a noticeable improvement...

Helped a friend a few months ago with an old Dozer and the exhaust was more than an annoyance... could have been partially the short stack that was homemade for better clearance in the orchard.

Anyone here re-route exhaust especially with older equipment?

/ Diesel Exhaust as in sucking fumes... #2  
I was wondering the exact same thing the other day while cutting grass. Why exhaust it right under the hood, in front, where the exhaust comes right to you as you go forward. The only thing I can come up with is the limited amount of space to route it behind the tractor, plus the extra heat that would be added to that area. You don't have the air movement to keep it cool, and you don't really want the exhaust too close to the ground where it can possibly catch some dry grass or hay on fire.

/ Diesel Exhaust as in sucking fumes...
I forgot to consider fire danger... good point.

/ Diesel Exhaust as in sucking fumes... #4  
My John Deer 850 has a factory underslung exhaust out the back. I know they came standard with a
stack straight up, but mine is down under and out the back. I bought it used and that is the way it came. have never had an issue brush hogging / mowing with it that way. I was told by someone that it was an option for when a tractor is used for mowing in an orchard to keep clear of tree branchs.

/ Diesel Exhaust as in sucking fumes... #5  
My Massey 135 is under out the back.

/ Diesel Exhaust as in sucking fumes... #6  
Our Ford/NH 3230 exhausts out the back under the rear axle. I suspect my wife's grandfather ordered it this way due to garage door clearance, but that's just a guess. The ROPS (and my head) just barely clear the garage door where this tractor has always been stored. If I disconnect the garage door opener, the door does not go up high enough for the ROPS to clear.

I think there's tradeoffs both ways. Coming out the top means the exaust could be in my face, and may have clearance problems putting it in the garage. Going underneath means ground clearance issues possibly, possible issues with dry tall vegetation and hot 3ph components when you need to switch attachments after running a while (just had this a couple hours ago when I switched from the finish mower to the rotary cutter).

Keith

/ Diesel Exhaust as in sucking fumes... #7  
I have converted most of mine to vertical exhaust, under exhaust and hay don't go together. Most old models could be ordered either way. I like a tall vertical pipe over my head. My JD 790 comes out the left side of the engine compartment, I hate it, hope to convert it someday. My crawler had the exhaust up the brush riser on the roll bar and exited out the back of the roll cage. I did a little re work and the exhaust is still temp. but that worked well and was well protected from brush.

/ Diesel Exhaust as in sucking fumes... #8  
Well, the under the tractor out the back exhaust on the TO-35 was bad for the two poor souls riding the tobacco setter all day. Dad converted it to vertical exhaust after the first tobacco season usage. Also the fire danger raking/baling hay.