Just bought some Biodiesel

/ Just bought some Biodiesel #11  
Does any one have a web link or site to the soy based Bio diesel ? I'd much rather support My neighbors than ***** Bin spending billions ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Just bought some Biodiesel #12  
   / Just bought some Biodiesel
That web site has some statements from manufacturers:"

http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/fuelfactsheets/standards_and_warranties.shtm

So it might be worth reading what they have to say. New Holland doesn't have a statement, so I may call a dealer and see what they say. I'm a bit nervous about the long term affects on seals and gaskets. The brochure at the Co-op where I just bought some has this statement from John Deere:

"Blending biodeisel fuel above a 5% concentration could have some adverse affects to the engine, such as: power loss and deterioration of performance; fuel leakage through seals and hoses; corrosion of fuel injection equipment; blocked injector nozzles,; filter plugging; lacquering, sludge and sediments; and reduced service life."

/ Just bought some Biodiesel #15  
They can make biodiesel from things other than soybeans (like resturant waste) also. The stuff made from waste fry oil has a really high gell point though, about 55 degrees. I believe straight soybean biodiesel is around 40 degrees. At a 2% dillution I wouldn't think it would have much of an effect though.

/ Just bought some Biodiesel #16  
They can make biodiesel from things other than soybeans (like resturant waste)

This is not true! These are two completely separate and even legal and non-legal fuel sources. Biodiesel IS NOT recycled oil. Biodiesel is fuel produced through very strict standards. The biodiesel meets specific EPA standards and goes through a refinery process called transesterification. It also has to confrom to strict industry standards as well. Raw or used vegetable oil does not come close to meeting these standards.

/ Just bought some Biodiesel #17  
In terms of practical usage is there a big difference between the 2 fuels? After reading up on this, one gray areas appears to be around microbial growth. Is this something where the shelf life is very short(weeks) or is it similar to petro diesel? If I store 5 gallons stored in the shed for a month am I going to need to treat it?

Thanks...

/ Just bought some Biodiesel #18  
Danny, here's a link to a recent BioDiesel thread from early July in the Oil, Fuel & Lubricants Forum. One of my posts quoted New Holland's position on the use of biodiesel.

/ Just bought some Biodiesel #19  
Huge difference between the two. No way I would use the used vegetable oil in a 40k tractor or a 40k pickup. There are no standards to it, it's all done backyard, etc. There are no standards to it at all. It isn't regulated at all. You have to modify your vehicle, which will void warranties.

As far as shelf life it's guaranteed for six months. After that it's usually fine but you need to test it. But that's the same for diesel as well. With the B2 or B20 you treat it just the same as you would regular diesel. The extenders and pour points can be used the same as 100% diesel.

/ Just bought some Biodiesel #20  
Mike,
Has New Holland issued any further bulletins on the higher percentage blends?

Jerry