Ford 4000 and Dearborn Cultivator

/ Ford 4000 and Dearborn Cultivator #1  

shootercase

Tractor
63-64 Ford 4000
Hello

I am hoping to use a cultivator for food plot soil prep. The unit i have access to is a Dearborn cultivator about 7 feet wide. How will my 1963 ford 4000 (gas) pull it? Soils have some clay content. I am hoping this implement will let me work faster than my 3 bottom plow. Any advice is welcome.

Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 323
   / Ford 4000 and Dearborn Cultivator #2  
I've never saw one of those. As I read your post I thought you were talking about a cultivator designed to do light soil tillage between planted rows. It appears this is designed to do heavy tillage in unworked soil. Can't tell what the shanks look like from the pictures. If it's designed to do heavy tillage it'll hang back pretty hard. Good thing is all you have to do is lift it slightly and till shallower, then do a repeat pass at a deeper setting.

I grew up around small Ford equipment and a later model Ford 4000 but never saw one of those before. If you get it out of the weeds and ground take another picture. I'd like to see the shanks better. Thanks and good luck!!!

/ Ford 4000 and Dearborn Cultivator #3  
We pulled one just like that with a ford jubilee, so you should have no problem pulling it. I am not sure you will be happy with the amount of soil it moves, and may want a disc instead.

/ Ford 4000 and Dearborn Cultivator #4  
So Ed, is it designed to be used in plowed soil or can it rip untilled soil?? I'd still like to see the design of the shanks. Never too old to see/learn something new!!!

If your Jubilee pulled it, his 4000 should do it with little trouble.

/ Ford 4000 and Dearborn Cultivator
We pulled one just like that with a ford jubilee, so you should have no problem pulling it. I am not sure you will be happy with the amount of soil it moves, and may want a disc instead.

Hi Ed,

Do you think i wont like how much soil it moved because it will disturb too much or too little soil? I planned to start with the cultivator and finish with my disk and drag.

Thanks for your reply.

/ Ford 4000 and Dearborn Cultivator #6