Wheel Spacers?

/ Wheel Spacers? #1  

caps

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC26DA
Anyone use wheel spacers on their TC26DA. The tractor is only 4 feet wide and quite tippy on side slopes.
I am thinking that a 2 or 3 inch extension on each side would help? Anyone with experience with them?
Next question of course is where to get them at a reasonable price.

/ Wheel Spacers? #2  
I don't know your tractor, but I have a JD 3720 and was "seeminly" tippy. I put a couple 2" spacers on each side and put fluid in the tires and it made all the difference in the world to me. I got them from Skid Steer Solutions and they cost around $350 or so for 4 spacers. They have salesmen that could help you with the exact one you need.

/ Wheel Spacers?
Thanks for the info Deer Dude. I already have filled tires and it helps some. My manual also says I should have about 460 pounds of ballast on the back. Guess I need to build a ballast box. My manual also says to not put any sort of spacer on the front tires or even reverse the wheels as it may damage the axle or other parts. I checked Skid Steer and they sell spacers in sets of four. I will only need two for the back. Also their web site didn't indicate that they had anything to fit the New Holland CUT. $350 is a bit rich for me for two spacers.

/ Wheel Spacers? #4  
Thanks for the info Deer Dude. I already have filled tires and it helps some. My manual also says I should have about 460 pounds of ballast on the back. Guess I need to build a ballast box. My manual also says to not put any sort of spacer on the front tires or even reverse the wheels as it may damage the axle or other parts. I checked Skid Steer and they sell spacers in sets of four. I will only need two for the back. Also their web site didn't indicate that they had anything to fit the New Holland CUT. $350 is a bit rich for me for two spacers.

How steep is the hill if I might ask?

I wouldn't put spacers in the front and I haven't hear of anybody that does, but I would keep looking for 2" spacers for the rear. Wheel Hub Extensions - Unverferth Wheel Products may have something but I think they are expensive. Wheel weights would help obviously but they are expensive also but that would be my next solution.

I tried reversing my wheels and a lot of people do that, but I noticed my wheels had dimples of some sort that would butt up against the hub so the wheel would not fit flat against the hub without ruining something, so I couldn't reverse mine without damaging the wheel either.

A weight box would help for FEL work and they are cheap to buy or build but I don't know how effective they would be for side way tippiness. It seems the center of gravity would not be lowered much for the whole tractor with a weight box.

/ Wheel Spacers? #5  
Hey Caps,
We're a new sponsor on the forum here and we manufacture custom wheel spacers. Do you still need some?

/ Wheel Spacers?
Deere Dude,
My whole property is pretty hilly. Nothing but swales and ravines. One hill that I cut drops 6 feet over a 15 foot distance. Even going straight up and down is a bit frightening.
DSCN2644.JPGDSCN2643.JPG

Last edited:
   / Wheel Spacers?
I may but haven't decided yet. Just this morning I was talking to one of my neighbors who owns several tractors spread out over a couple farms. He told me to get rid of the tractor before I kill myself. He suggested that I get one of the utility type four wheelers or a smaller subcompact/garden tractor with a mid mounted mower deck. I bought the tractor because I had three jobs that I wanted to do with it. (and I always wanted one anyhow and the price was right). I have completed two of the jobs and was told by the county that I couldn't do the other one. I wanted to put a road thru the property down to the lake at the bottom of the hill. Add a walkway and then a pier. County says I can't put anything within 100 foot of the water that disturbs the land. Its a wetland and I could only put an elevated walk way to a floating pier but no road. I did bookmark your website so I will check it out if I decide to go with the spacers.

Thanks,
john

/ Wheel Spacers? #8  
Hey John,
We'll be here! Good luck on your projects!

/ Wheel Spacers? #9  
motorsports your web site does not load

/ Wheel Spacers? #10  
Caps,
My grandfather used to have a little mfwd ford with a mid-mount mower back in the late 80's through the 90's. He got some wide turf tires put on it and went all over his property (which was at least as hilly as yours).

Go talk to your dealer...tell them the tractor isn't stable enough. I'm sure they can handle this issue. If your tractor really can't handle a wider stance, I would trade it in and get something built better. Tractors have had adjustable wheels/axles almost since the day they were invented.

-Phillip