vermeer 206 stump grinder

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #12  
Could it be the ignition coil? How do I test this?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130806_185851.png
    ForumRunner_20130806_185851.png
    507.6 KB · Views: 126
   / vermeer 206 stump grinder #13  
coil will not affect it turning over, only affect the firing of the sparkplugs

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #16  
I pulled the ignition switch and found the ground wire. 12.4.. there is a rocker switch to raise and lower the wheel and the works I see voltage drop to 12.1 and it raises / lowers the wheel.

Not sure what you're saying: '...lower the wheel and the works...'
You seem to get a slight V drop when you energize the wheel raise/lower switch? Yes?

Take positive lead of meter and put on pos post of battery. Take negative lead from meter and run it to housing of starter and see if you get a reading of Voltage. If NOT, you may not have a good ground for the starter.
Post results.

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #17  
Not sure what you're saying: '...lower the wheel and the works...'
You seem to get a slight V drop when you energize the wheel raise/lower switch? Yes?

Take positive lead of meter and put on pos post of battery. Take negative lead from meter and run it to housing of starter and see if you get a reading of Voltage. If NOT, you may not have a good ground for the starter.
Post results.

12.4 when following your instructions. What I meant is there is a seperate rocker switch that raises and lowers the grinding wheel and that works but is of course not wired to the key switch.

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #18  
Ok, slow down you're all over the place and jumping from one thing to another without stopping to follow the logic of the start/crank circuit.
Can you try to jump start the starter with cables from the battery to the starter solenoid and see if it turns over? (First disconnect and put safely aside the wire that currently brings hot from battery to solenoid bolt at the solenoid). Do this: Hot lead of jumper cable to post batt post. Ground lead of jumper cable to negative battery post. Ground of jumper cable to known good clean ground of grinder and just touch positive to bolt of solenoid. If it cranks over, do NOT crank it for more than a few seconds, to verify that the new starter is in fact good, and works to turn the engine over.
Post back results.

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #20  
Ok. Now we're getting somewhere!
You now know the new starter is good and the engine will turn over when proper voltage is applied to the starter solenoid. Now you have to find out where you are loosing voltage in the starting circuit. This will be why the starter is not engaging with the ignition key.:thumbsup:

So now you will have to verify each point from battery through to the starter solenoid to see where the wiring is faulty.
For me to understand where you're at with this harness tell me exactly what you did replacing things like battery, ignition switch, etc., and why you replaced them. And you will need to use your meter and possibly a test light to see where you have an open in the circuit.
Post back.