vermeer 206 stump grinder

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #1  

snowninja

we're working on getting a grinder that's been sitting 10+ years started and it seems the switch to the solenoid is bad, when we jump the solenoid the starter spins but doesn't engage. I was googling and binging around to find a manual for this thing and the only link is to the Vermeer website and they want a ton of info to "send" a manual. I was hoping to get the pdf online, does anyone know where this is? I want to figure out the parts I need to order.. the motor is a kohler magnum 20 and the grinder only has 34hrs on it but like I said has been sitting for over 10 years..

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #2  
There should be some identification numbers on the Kohler engine that could help in identifying what starter components you need. Ignition switch, take that too a good lawn mower repair center and they would probably have a replacement.

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #3  
btw this is the same person that posted the original thread. I forgot that I had created a new account a long time ago and by default used that login..

anyway thanks for the heads up on the starter part. i'll take a look to see what I can find.. also order a paper manual. Vermeer is working on digitizing their manuals but not quite there yet..

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #5  
If the starter spins but the bendix does not engage you possibly can just remove the starter and clean the bendix. Do NOT oil the bendix assembly since this attracts dirt and causes them to fail. I have used brake cleaner for ones that are oily and gummy or just light emery cloth or steel wool if slightly rusted.

Yes those little starters have a mighty big price tag..

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #7  
Are you certain the engine CAN turnover? That it is not seized?
Put a voltmeter across the battery, note voltage present. Turn key while looking at meter reading to see if voltage drops or changes significantly.
Report back results.:thumbsup:

/ vermeer 206 stump grinder #8  
Are you certain the engine CAN turnover? That it is not seized?
Put a voltmeter across the battery, note voltage present. Turn key while looking at meter reading to see if voltage drops or changes significantly.
Report back results.:thumbsup:

12.41v and no change when I turn the switch.