What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour?

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #11  
You guys say 80-100 an hr is a fair price for a compact tractor! I need to move to where yall live. Haha. I get 40 for my MF 135 and 85 for this one. When its not stuck! This wet spring is killing me.

Attachments

• image-2012374019.jpg
    image-2012374019.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 273
   / What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #12  
You guys say 80-100 an hr is a fair price for a compact tractor! I need to move to where yall live. Haha. I get 40 for my MF 135 and 85 for this one. When its not stuck! This wet spring is killing me.

When I lived in Summit Ms. I never could make a living working for the general public. One of the reasons I left. LOL.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #13  
The operator's ability is worth more than the tractor

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #14  

Yep... you've lost all forward momentum! :laughing: However, your vertical position could be much, much worse!

I got $85/hr. for my tractor and baler a couple of years ago. I've done a fair bit of "free" work with my TLB, though. Anytime your rootin' and diggin' and gettin' into places that you're never quite sure about... I don't charge! Outside of sheer incompetence - that leaves most of the responsibility on the property owner - for anything he/she "forgot about" or was not aware of from previous owner's, etc.

AKfish

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #15  
now technically there is a tax liability here, but barter is a great way of avoiding formal contracts.
Sure helps if you know the person though and in many smaller areas you do.
maybe that "client/neighbor" has a piece of machinery you've been eyeing...

Oops, this violates IRS reg XYZ123-A4, consult your local advisor

If you don't know the person well, just assume they will sue you even if they
forgot to tell you about the sinkhole.... That puts things in perspective quickly.

don't mean to be a wet blanket but smiles can turn to BS and worse when things go wrong.
And if they give you a check and you deposit it, well the IRS is always interested in deposits.
Good hunting ground for taxation.

as they said at the end of Hill Street Blues, be careful out there

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #16  
I know it's not the question you asked but if it were me I would barter the work for help with something down the road. I typically ask my friends to just cover my fuel costs.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #17  
funny, talk about thinking about the same thing at the same time

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #18  
First off do you have a "DBA" Doing Business As. Second insurance, Third around a buck a minute. Forth experience? Maybe foremost don't forget to call 811. Good luck.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #19  
Here in north central Florida, $75 per hour is about right for a skid steer (with 4 hr minimium), but tractors for bushhogging, and grading are as low as $35 per hour. I would say $50 per hour is fair, BUT keep in mind they are expecting a nice, professional swale for there money, and if you dont have real experience in this job, admit its over your head.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #20  
What type of customer is this person? Friend, neighbor, someone who knows you have a tractor and wants a job done for low $$$? Without knowing this and assuming that you are not in the business, we are all just guessing what may or may not happen. Think about the person and all of the possible consequences, good and bad. ;)