Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Default Re: What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour?

I think everything has been covered for the OP.

But, I have to ask, how can you guys run a tractor, and a business for $35/hr? Thats crazy!

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D, Case TR320 CTL

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    I think everything has been covered for the OP.

But, I have to ask, how can you guys run a tractor, and a business for $35/hr? Thats crazy!
    I don't do any "by the hour" work, but at 35 bucks I sure hope they have a regular job to support the losing money driving a tractor habit.
    John

My Work & Stuff Photo Thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...to-thread.html

2 Peter 3:1-18

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1026R

Lots of people mow for 35/hr on craigslist :-) that should tell you something.

Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

Quote Originally Posted by swick1 View Post
    Lots of people mow for 35/hr on craigslist :-) that should tell you something.
    if you figure at least ten bucks an hour on fuel, and that's for a small tractor, likely double that on a larger one, you had better want to
    be working on your tan, or something, because you sure aren't going to make a profit.

I do a fair amount of charity field mowing and will never accept money, other than for fuel. But then the landowner makes a nice donation
    to my local Quaker Meeting and of course get a nice charitable donation credit. I'm retired and happy to do it. Everyone goes home happy.

I have the TNT and all the gizmos and zero talent to use them. Simple inexperience with three point hitch gear. I'll learn, but I'd be better off having a more skilled operator use my tractor than me, and there's no ego issues here. Need to know your own limitations.
    No substitute for experience here; can't read this in a book. Lot of trial and error and no one wants to pay for your unsuccessful trials and errors. I'm quite sure an experienced guy with an old 8N or MF135 and a heavy rear scraper blade could do a seriously better job on a ditch than I could with all my hydraulic levers and adjustments, and just as importantly, in half the time.

Tractor
    JD 4840, 450j, 310, komatsu D31px22, IH 1486, MF 135, MHF TO35

Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post

Yep... you've lost all forward momentum! However, your vertical position could be much, much worse!

AKfish
    True. I usually stop and go get a dzr before i dig it in too deep. Notice i said "usually"! Haha

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post

I don't do any "by the hour" work, but at 35 bucks I sure hope they have a regular job to support the losing money driving a tractor habit.
    I run 7 machines "for hire" none of which lose money at the rates i charge. I know my operating cost per machine. I pay my men more than any body else around here. I have a good reputation for doing an excellent job at a fair price. Im booked up at 47 jobs pending. I make money by putting hours on machines, lots of hours! If i only wanted to work a day or two a week then i would have to go up on my rates. But working hard and being fair with people is who i am and it has provided well for me. And before someone ask, the answer is yes i have a healthy liability policy.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by pjbci View Post
    I run 7 machines "for hire" none of which lose money at the rates i charge. I know my operating cost per machine. I pay my men more than any body else around here. I have a good reputation for doing an excellent job at a fair price. Im booked up at 47 jobs pending. I make money by putting hours on machines, lots of hours! If i only wanted to work a day or two a week then i would have to go up on my rates. But working hard and being fair with people is who i am and it has provided well for me. And before someone ask, the answer is yes i have a healthy liability policy.
    Well said
    You are the guy I would hire.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gould View Post
    Well said
    You are the guy I would hire.

me too.

Getting things "done right" is not cheap.
    47 jobs in the pipeline, looking good for the summer.
    Has the improving economy/investment market helped open some wallets to
    get backburnered projects now done? I hope so. Or maybe you are that busy year after year.
    In which case, I guess I can't borrow your bulldozer, just for a few days...

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST Cab, Mechron 2200

Quote Originally Posted by pjbci View Post
    The problem is, getting from where Bullitt is today (just starting out with 1 job ahead) and where you are today (47 jobs ahead), most folks go broke because they didn't charge enough to survive.
    Rick

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by daugen View Post

me too.

Getting things "done right" is not cheap.
    47 jobs in the pipeline, looking good for the summer.
    Has the improving economy/investment market helped open some wallets to
    get backburnered projects now done? I hope so. Or maybe you are that busy year after year.
    In which case, I guess I can't borrow your bulldozer, just for a few days...
    I never really slowed down for the poor economy. 2009 seems to have been the worst but really the only difference i saw was the average job got smaller. People now are still wanting to do jobs in phases instead of all at once. Its coming back tho. Im seeing more calls about ponds than the last few years. Ponds are what you might call "backburner or luxury" projects for most people.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast