What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour?

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #21  
I think everything has been covered for the OP.

But, I have to ask, how can you guys run a tractor, and a business for $35/hr? Thats crazy!

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #22  
I think everything has been covered for the OP.

But, I have to ask, how can you guys run a tractor, and a business for $35/hr? Thats crazy!

I don't do any "by the hour" work, but at 35 bucks I sure hope they have a regular job to support the losing money driving a tractor habit.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #23  
Lots of people mow for 35/hr on craigslist :) that should tell you something.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #24  
Lots of people mow for 35/hr on craigslist :) that should tell you something.

if you figure at least ten bucks an hour on fuel, and that's for a small tractor, likely double that on a larger one, you had better want to
be working on your tan, or something, because you sure aren't going to make a profit.

I do a fair amount of charity field mowing and will never accept money, other than for fuel. But then the landowner makes a nice donation
to my local Quaker Meeting and of course get a nice charitable donation credit. I'm retired and happy to do it. Everyone goes home happy.

I have the TNT and all the gizmos and zero talent to use them. Simple inexperience with three point hitch gear. I'll learn, but I'd be better off having a more skilled operator use my tractor than me, and there's no ego issues here. Need to know your own limitations.
No substitute for experience here; can't read this in a book. Lot of trial and error and no one wants to pay for your unsuccessful trials and errors. I'm quite sure an experienced guy with an old 8N or MF135 and a heavy rear scraper blade could do a seriously better job on a ditch than I could with all my hydraulic levers and adjustments, and just as importantly, in half the time.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #25  
Yep... you've lost all forward momentum! :laughing: However, your vertical position could be much, much worse!

AKfish

True. I usually stop and go get a dzr before i dig it in too deep. Notice i said "usually"! Haha

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #26  
I don't do any "by the hour" work, but at 35 bucks I sure hope they have a regular job to support the losing money driving a tractor habit.

I run 7 machines "for hire" none of which lose money at the rates i charge. I know my operating cost per machine. I pay my men more than any body else around here. I have a good reputation for doing an excellent job at a fair price. Im booked up at 47 jobs pending. I make money by putting hours on machines, lots of hours! If i only wanted to work a day or two a week then i would have to go up on my rates. But working hard and being fair with people is who i am and it has provided well for me. And before someone ask, the answer is yes i have a healthy liability policy.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #27  
I run 7 machines "for hire" none of which lose money at the rates i charge. I know my operating cost per machine. I pay my men more than any body else around here. I have a good reputation for doing an excellent job at a fair price. Im booked up at 47 jobs pending. I make money by putting hours on machines, lots of hours! If i only wanted to work a day or two a week then i would have to go up on my rates. But working hard and being fair with people is who i am and it has provided well for me. And before someone ask, the answer is yes i have a healthy liability policy.

Well said :thumbsup:
You are the guy I would hire.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #28  
Well said :thumbsup:
You are the guy I would hire.

:thumbsup:
me too.

Getting things "done right" is not cheap.
47 jobs in the pipeline, looking good for the summer.
Has the improving economy/investment market helped open some wallets to
get backburnered projects now done? I hope so. Or maybe you are that busy year after year.
In which case, I guess I can't borrow your bulldozer, just for a few days...:D

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #29  

The problem is, getting from where Bullitt is today (just starting out with 1 job ahead) and where you are today (47 jobs ahead), most folks go broke because they didn't charge enough to survive.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #30  
:thumbsup:
me too.

Getting things "done right" is not cheap.
47 jobs in the pipeline, looking good for the summer.
Has the improving economy/investment market helped open some wallets to
get backburnered projects now done? I hope so. Or maybe you are that busy year after year.
In which case, I guess I can't borrow your bulldozer, just for a few days...:D

I never really slowed down for the poor economy. 2009 seems to have been the worst but really the only difference i saw was the average job got smaller. People now are still wanting to do jobs in phases instead of all at once. Its coming back tho. Im seeing more calls about ponds than the last few years. Ponds are what you might call "backburner or luxury" projects for most people.