What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour?

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #31  
I never really slowed down for the poor economy. 2009 seems to have been the worst but really the only difference i saw was the average job got smaller. People now are still wanting to do jobs in phases instead of all at once. Its coming back tho. Im seeing more calls about ponds than the last few years. Ponds are what you might call "backburner or luxury" projects for most people.

I stayed pretty busy through the bad economy, but this year is off the charts.

The main difference around here has been the shift in the type of projects I'm getting calls for. For the last three months I've been looking at a lot of newly acquired properties. That's an excellent sign. Most of these properties are on old farm and ranch land that's now being split and the majority of new owners are city folk moving to the country.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #32  
a concern here for you 94Bullitt... the instant you accept a penny for work completed, your homeowner policy ceases to exist as far as
"odd job" liability. Do it for free, most likely fine. But charge a fee and then the question is, do you want to run bare without insurance?

Excavator liability and workers comp insurance are seriously expensive. Deal breaking for many small businesses, even if you opt out of
sole proprietor workers compensation coverage. So many small businesses become cash only and pray that nothing happens. Problem is that it does, and particularly with equipment capable of digging,
the consequences can be catastrophic, e.g. hitting a LNG line.

Unlikely you have any such concerns doing ditch work, but it's a slippery slope, no pun intended, so if you do this on the side, your pricing should be significantly less than a true commercial contractor with full insurance.
Just be careful not to put your personal assets on the line for a three hundred dollar job...or as many zeroes as you feel comfortable adding to that.
totally agree....have the proper insurance, workers comp, correct licenses, work knowledge and the right equipment.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour?
I want to thank everyone who answered my original question. I found some of the comments to be offensive. I had to take some time off from TBN to cool off. My family runs a small business so I know what all is involved. I don't know why everyone seems to think I need insurance, a business license, and workers comp to do ONE side job. I have seen several threads on here before with people asking how much is my tractor worth a hour plowing a garden, plowing snow, or mowing. I don't recall anyone telling them that insurance, a business license, and workers comp. At this point in time I think I am just going to reply to my subscribed threads because I noticed in my emails I had a few people ask me a question, then I won't be doing any more posting.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #34  
Roger, there are so many variables out there it's truly unbelievable as I am sure that you are aware of. I think that many of us are worry warts and just don't want anything bad to happen. I know that I was sued once for over 3 million dollars. :shocked: I only had-have a million dollar policy. Courts won't even let you on the property to show that I was not at fault in any way. :mad: Man I was sweeting bullets. :eek: Long story short, my insurance was able to take care of it. Without having the insurance, I most likely would have been in a bad way. The killer was that I had done NOTHING wrong, in fact had taken care of many problems. The legal system won't even let you defend yourself. :mad:

Enough about that, just didn't want bad things to happen to you.

I'm sorry :sorry: that you took offense to anyone's advice and or warnings. :(

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #35  
Roger, Im with Brian .

The legal climate has changed.. Once money changes hands it opens you up for some serious liability. 99.99% of the time nothing goes wrong, but if something does... That one time job could be that 0.01%. Would I do a quick job for beer money, for somebody I knew? Likely I would, but I'd always have the worst case scenario at the back of my mind.

I think the guys here just had your best interests at heart.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #36  
I found some of the comments to be offensive.

well that's pretty strange because everyone's advice was well meaning.
And you asked for advice.
Most of us don't know you, we don't know that you have business experience,
so you received some broad advice and not specific enough for you apparently.

One side job is like one time not putting on your seat belt.
We all wish you well.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #37  
If you found my post offensive then I apologize. It truely was not the intension.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #38  
I found some of the comments to be offensive.

well that's pretty strange because everyone's advice was well meaning.
And you asked for advice.
Most of us don't know you, we don't know that you have business experience,
so you received some broad advice and not specific enough for you apparently.

One side job is like one time not putting on your seat belt.
We all wish you well.

x2.

You give folks here good advice, I have noticed. I think the replies were trying to give you good, sincere advice too. You only replied once during the "advice giving", and didn't redirect or clear-up the info, your business experience, etc. People can only operate on the info they have available, and we can't see your face to get any visual clues.

I think you took offense where absolutely none was intended.

Like RdRancher said, I wouldn't charge by the hour. Ask what you think it is worth to you to do the job and live with the outcome. That way your uncertainty about how efficiently you can do it is a non-issue.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #39  
I am relatively new to TBN and what little I have used it has been positive. I too have had some "interesting" replies to questions I had but understand that on my keyboard there is a delete button and if it isn't working properly, I can simply choose to ignore the "comments/experts advice" and continue looking for the ones I want.
Personally, I didn't see anything that should have upset me and also have learned through over 40 in construction that there are miriads of "experts" in every field -- some who don't know jack sh*t about what they comment on but like to hear themselves talk.
I suggest you re-consider your intention of leaving what could help you with a mechanical problem {for FREE} -- this is where I found some quality help with my problem WITHOUT paying $90/hour at our local Kubota dealer who undoubetedly would have replaced my alternator/regulator/battery THEN found the broken wire and replaced it fixing the problem but I would have had hundreds of dollars of "repairs" that were not needed to fix a connection!!! -- if you have one in the future and just pay attention to the posts that will help you and forget "the experts".
All the best.

/ What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour? #40  
Roger, I totally agree with you. SOME of the comments that I read seemed to assume you were either ill equipped for this job or hadn't thought this thing thru, even though you explained yourself completely.

I've only been here a short time and don't know you from Adam, other than seeing your comments on various threads. What I have noticed, is that any comments you've made were well meaning and informative to the thread OP. Other folks here, as I've learned, are not quite so thoughtful.

I also agree with Jason, that MOST folks had your best interest at heart.

If you leave, you take away access to knowledge/experience from "one of the good guys", lowering the value of this type of forum.

I would ask you to reconsider.