Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra Max28XL HST

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT
    I was thinking about this thread mainly 1 reply and I think I misunderstood that post. It kind of set my "attitude" for this thread. I took it as this persons reply as being smart/ hostile and I was shocked because I had never seen this person like but I don't think that was their intent. I read it fast which made it seem that way to me but when I slowed down and thought about it, it did not seem that way. The bad thing about forums is you can't tell the tone in the persons voice or see their facial expressions to know how to take what they are saying. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Great post.
    http://www.ohr.edu/838
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9BfhxL_JTI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8UEVoSJmfs

“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” Ancient of Days

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37aM75LaEDk&list=PLGLwt3_lSbxxRtjMLHJDpqEK 9vcq9IfsJ

t

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

Default Re: What is Driveway Repair Work Worth a Hour?

no problemo, you show your smarts by figuring this out. Glad you feel better about this too, none of us wanted to mess with your head.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gould View Post
    My thought is - If you want to go into business that is great. But do it right. Be serious about it, Get the equipment, insurance, and experience that you need first in order to be fair to the customer and protect both him and yourself. Then you will know your costs and profit requirements and won't have to ask what to charge.
    If you just want casual tractor work then do it as a favor and enjoy yourself.
    If it was mine that set you off - Again I appologize. I can see how you could have misinterpreted it.
    I don't know you or your capabilities and you said very little about your situation. I don't even know what state you are in. So my comment was made as a broad general statement to anyone who is considering commercial work with any power equipment. And it is just my opinion nothing more. I was not trying to say that you were short on capability or experience. I was only trying to say what I believe anybody needs before doing commercial work.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Thanks guys.

The great thing about gravel driveways is it will always need work in the future. If you think that this could be a yearly, or twice a year type of job then you could do the first time for free to learn the driveway, get some experience, and hopefully get asked rework it in the future. It should also allow you to see if you have the right attachments and if not, since you're not charging, you're not going to spend lots of extra time using the wrong one trying to do something it wasn't made for or trying to explain why you didn't do as good of a job as you would like. Plus you can get a good idea how many hour(s) it will take and help you figure out how much you should charge. You could also feel out the customer to see what they would be willing to pay.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    The great thing about gravel driveways is it will always need work in the future. If you think that this could be a yearly, or twice a year type of job then you could do the first time for free to learn the driveway, get some experience, and hopefully get asked rework it in the future. It should also allow you to see if you have the right attachments and if not, since you're not charging, you're not going to spend lots of extra time using the wrong one trying to do something it wasn't made for or trying to explain why you didn't do as good of a job as you would like. Plus you can get a good idea how many hour(s) it will take and help you figure out how much you should charge. You could also feel out the customer to see what they would be willing to pay.
    His driveway has been in really bad shape for the last 3 years. I was at his place in the (he goes to Florida for the winter) and I almost need 4wd to get up it. He told His brother in law this spring "fixed it up." He just pulled the stuff that had washed away back on the driveway. We got a good rain and is washing out again. I need to cut some ditches, crown it, and clean out the culvert. I also need to cut some brush away frome the edges some I can get the tractor in there. It is in need of some major repair. I know it will need some maintenance a couple times a year but I don't know if he will go for all that. He has several antique cars so I think he would want a nice driveway but he does not care. I guess he hits his hill with some speed.

Tractor
    John Deere 790 w/ 300 loader

I have done a few gravel drives.

On one 300 foot drive I pulled the ditches and made one ditch a little longer and touched up the road surface. With my rhino 72 inch rear blade and my 790 the road work did was 2 hours work, but I was there a full 8 hours doing other chores.

On a slightly shorter drive I graded everything to the middle to re-dome the road and filled large pot holes at the end of the road were it met the highway. Just under 2 hours everything was complete

I had figgered a 2 hour minimum $150 for pretty much any work done with my tractor/implements. If there was more than two hours of work I waved the min. price. Shooting a price for said work or job works good to, just hope you saw all potential issues before you commence work
    790 JD W/ 300 loader
    Lots of implements for loader and 3pt
    Can't do it burn'n diesel, is not worth do'n

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    His driveway has been in really bad shape for the last 3 years. I was at his place in the (he goes to Florida for the winter) and I almost need 4wd to get up it. He told His brother in law this spring "fixed it up." He just pulled the stuff that had washed away back on the driveway. We got a good rain and is washing out again. I need to cut some ditches, crown it, and clean out the culvert. I also need to cut some brush away frome the edges some I can get the tractor in there. It is in need of some major repair. I know it will need some maintenance a couple times a year but I don't know if he will go for all that. He has several antique cars so I think he would want a nice driveway but he does not care. I guess he hits his hill with some speed.
    That's sounds like a lot of work, I wouldn't do that much for free. It almost sounds like he's not all that interested in having a nice drive. When i first bought my land the ROW was a nightmare. Once in a great while someone would knock the ruts down but for the most part people would just drive their cars places that I barely would drive my Tundra through. Now that it's at the point where any car can drive it most people say it looks great but I really doubt any of the neighbors would have spent a cent even though the wear and tear on their cars must have added up over the years.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by spruce Deere View Post
    I have done a few gravel drives.

On one 300 foot drive I pulled the ditches and made one ditch a little longer and touched up the road surface. With my rhino 72 inch rear blade and my 790 the road work did was 2 hours work, but I was there a full 8 hours doing other chores.

On a slightly shorter drive I graded everything to the middle to re-dome the road and filled large pot holes at the end of the road were it met the highway. Just under 2 hours everything was complete

I had figgered a 2 hour minimum $150 for pretty much any work done with my tractor/implements. If there was more than two hours of work I waved the min. price. Shooting a price for said work or job works good to, just hope you saw all potential issues before you commence work
    If we come to an agreement on the job I will give him a price for the job. I just wanted to know a hourly rate so I could try to figure up what to charge him.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post

That's sounds like a lot of work, I wouldn't do that much for free. It almost sounds like he's not all that interested in having a nice drive. When i first bought my land the ROW was a nightmare. Once in a great while someone would knock the ruts down but for the most part people would just drive their cars places that I barely would drive my Tundra through. Now that it's at the point where any car can drive it most people say it looks great but I really doubt any of the neighbors would have spent a cent even though the wear and tear on their cars must have added up over the years.
    Yes it is going to be a lot of work. He may have already forgot about his driveway by know. I know another guy that has ruts 2' deep in his driveway, it is shared with 3 other families. You have to pick a line to go up it or you will drop in a rut.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast