Mowing mowing with the bucket on/off

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #11  
Altho this is titled to be re bucket, I havnt seen reference to that in posts. If you have a quick release bucket, the removal of that significant weight carried well forward of the front axle has a great benefit/effort ratio.
larry

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #12  
As noted, loader/bucket on affects the fore-aft CG and makes going downhill with mower on the ground in 4wd mandatory for any steep slope because the rears (where the brakes and 2wd engine braking are) will be unweighted and slide.

However, (in my opinion) the lateral CG (with which one is most concerned with on a sidehill) will not be changed with a low bucket ...the designers placed the fulcrum in the right place...and, the (center of mass of the) bucket can comfortably ride at or below the CG.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #13  
However, (in my opinion) the lateral CG (with which one is most concerned with on a sidehill) will not be changed with a low bucket ...the designers placed the fulcrum in the right place...and, the (center of mass of the) bucket can comfortably ride at or below the CG.

You might be able to lower the CG a tad, but you also move it considerably forward. Because it moved toward the rocking front axle, you made it much more unstable. The only way it gets *MORE* stable is if you can begin to lower the CG below the pivot point on the front axle. I have yet to see a tractor which has construction and geometry where I believe this would happen.

I've physically proven that to myself using my BX, but I bet the model remains consistent regardless of the size of the tractor.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #14  
I live on a slope, but it isn't 'steep'. I leave my loader on all the time because I'm constantly picking up sticks every time I mow.

Try it both ways, and see which works best for your property. There are no two properties alike on this planet.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #15  
What you really need to do is remove the bucket and attach in it's place a gauge wheel at each side. No, just kidding! (Ducking and running)
Seriously, if you do mow with the loader attached, keep the bucket close to the ground so it can be dropped to the ground quickly if needed.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #16  
The weight of an empty bucket will realy make very little difference to anything if greased properly .

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #17  
The weight of an empty bucket will realy make very little difference to anything if greased properly .

OK, how does grease make *ANY* difference to stability of the tractor?

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #18  
The grease lets the grass pass smoothly under a properly greased bucket. If you do not grease the bucket you may hit rocks, dead fall, antlers and other hidden hazards. :duh:

I keep my bucket down, maybe a foot or less off the ground. That low strategy can be helpful when really bush-hogging. When just mowing I do not have a fear of deadfall and rocks.

I do not have counterweights on my tractor so transport driving with the bushhog up in the air makes the front end too light with the whole loader off.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #19  
The grease lets the grass pass smoothly under a properly greased bucket.

Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are :laughing:

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #20  
I mowed with my L2900 for 14 years with the bucket on to push over saplings and to find large rocks before the mower did. Also, it provided an effective counterweight for the front end when I backed up steep slopes while mowing/brush hogging. I never had a problem with it during this time and when I sold the tractor and loader everything was still tight and functional. Alas, I didn't grease the bucket so there were some scratches and scrapes I could have obviously avoided. The key on steeper slopes is vertical rather than horizontal movement and low speeds. It takes awhile and a lot of patience, but you can safely mow them if you plan ahead and take your time. The bucket particularly helped when mowing nasty plants that attack you such as multiflora rose.