Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    1710 Ford

Default Re: mowing with the bucket on/off

I find the loader on puts too much weight on the front end and the smaller tires push the grass down too much and therefore I do not get a very nice cut. Without the FEL the front end is much lighter and it is a much nicer job mowing.

i also want to echo the points made here that on side slope, the FEL shifts the cg to far forward to a more unstable set-up than the rigidly mounted rear wheels which make sit more unstable.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    The thread sounds familiar and I may well be "the other poster", if so, my point was an RFM "on the ground" has no effect on stability while the MMM being "suspended" will. Obviously once the RFM no longer is ridding with all its weight on the gauge wheels, it becomes suspended weight and will then affect stability. If you can point to the thread, I my be able to see where or if I was wrong or did a poor job of explaining.
    TribleR, it may have been your post that I was refering to and I'm glad you posted a response here. I haven't tried mowing with the loader off while using the RFM but will give it a try this week; I'll start with the lesser inclines to see how it feels. Do you think there should be some weight added up front using suitcase weights?

Foster Center, RI

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by unbidden View Post
    TribleR, it may have been your post that I was refering to and I'm glad you posted a response here. I haven't tried mowing with the loader off while using the RFM but will give it a try this week; I'll start with the lesser inclines to see how it feels. Do you think there should be some weight added up front using suitcase weights?
    I believe suitcase weights on the front would sure help as like I said the RFM once off the ground becomes a whole different matter and you will be pulling uphill. 94BULLITT has some posts on adding weights to his as does someone else, but I have forgotten who.

Regardless of what I am doing, I have to keep in mind proper use of ballast. It always takes a bit to figure it out on a new tractor and I have recently added about 500 pounds to the back of our L5740 when using a loader and the performance and stability really improved.

I am certainly no expert and learn something new all the time; sometimes I even learn I didn't know what I was doing when I really thought I did.

Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

FEL off for brush hogging and tilling.
    Forward visibility is much better.
    I like the weight being mostly on the rear axle and the CG down low.
    Much better turning in cramped area - less chance of damage when turning while backing up.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Grand View Post
    FEL off for brush hogging and tilling.
    Forward visibility is much better.
    I like the weight being mostly on the rear axle and the CG down low.
    Much better turning in cramped area - less chance of damage when turning while backing up.
    I don't agree with this completely. While forward visibility is better with the FEL off, and turning is tighter in cramped areas, the front end of my Massey will come off the ground when raising the tiller. I can do wheelies in a heartbeat, and my tiller is light compared to others.
    And I'll also add that I would never brush hog without my FEL, unless it was known ground with no obstacles at all. Better to keep the FEL low to warn of objects that can tear a mower to pieces(stumps, rocks, fenceposts, logs, deer carcasses, old implements, human remains).
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2370

Wow...thanks for all the opinions guys. I should have stated that yes it is a belly mower. I mowed for the first time Sunday evening and this evening. I did take the loader off. Had it off in less than 2 minutes. Took me quite a bit longer to get it back on. But, this was my first time. I am sure with practice that re-attaching it will get easier. Anyway, with the loader off the BX performed great on the hill. I am not one who is real picky about my grass, but I think it did a fine job cutting. Took a little longer than it used to with my zero turn, but at least I was in control the entire time. Unlike the zero turn where it would break traction on the hill once in a while and then I was just along for the ride. I plan to take a pic of the hill I mow to see what you think. Maybe too late now since I have already tackled it. I received an e-mail asking me to review my tractor, but with only 5 hours on it right now, I am not sure I can give a real good review. It did get a pretty good workout this weekend with the mowing and hauling gravel for my patio project I am working on. So far I am happy, happy, happy.

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Okay Howie glad everything worked out for you ... look forward to the pic ... stay safe

Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

TripleR: The thread sounds familiar and I may well be "the other poster", if so, my point was an RFM "on the ground" has no effect on stability while the MMM being "suspended" will. Obviously once the RFM no longer is ridding with all its weight on the gauge wheels, it becomes suspended weight and will then affect stability. If you can point to the thread, I my be able to see where or if I was wrong or did a poor job of explaining.
    Well, I mowed with the FEL off and all went better than great. Ride was smoother and of course the tractor was easier to navigate around fences and trees. The big plus was mowing slopes actually seemed more stable than with FEL on. Thanks for the heads up TripleR.

Foster Center, RI

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Well, I mowed with the FEL off and all went better than great. Ride was smoother and of course the tractor was easier to navigate around fences and trees. The big plus was mowing slopes actually seemed more stable than with FEL on. Thanks for the heads up TripleR.
    I am glad it worked out so well for you.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
    Wow...thanks for all the opinions guys. I should have stated that yes it is a belly mower. I mowed for the first time Sunday evening and this evening. I did take the loader off. Had it off in less than 2 minutes. Took me quite a bit longer to get it back on. But, this was my first time. I am sure with practice that re-attaching it will get easier. Anyway, with the loader off the BX performed great on the hill. I am not one who is real picky about my grass, but I think it did a fine job cutting. Took a little longer than it used to with my zero turn, but at least I was in control the entire time. Unlike the zero turn where it would break traction on the hill once in a while and then I was just along for the ride. I plan to take a pic of the hill I mow to see what you think. Maybe too late now since I have already tackled it. I received an e-mail asking me to review my tractor, but with only 5 hours on it right now, I am not sure I can give a real good review. It did get a pretty good workout this weekend with the mowing and hauling gravel for my patio project I am working on. So far I am happy, happy, happy.
    I gotta ask, since no one else has. Did you mow with the bucket on at all?

No wrong answer here, just curious.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast