Ford 1700 with Power Loss in Rear

/ Ford 1700 with Power Loss in Rear #1  

sdornan66

Tractor
Ford 1700
Just bought a house and inherited a 1982 Ford 1700 with 1500 hours on it. It actually runs great, but when climbing any kind of incline or running my 5 foot finish mower at has absolutely no get up and go. Have to run it in granny gear to keep moving and running mower. Engine never seems to register the strain, but the pro and drive train just seem to have no real guts.

Any suggestions?

/ Ford 1700 with Power Loss in Rear #2  
It has a 2cyl Shibaura diesel engine in it, maybe the timing is off on the injector pump? Are you able to get the rpm's up near the 2500 maximum on the tachometer?

/ Ford 1700 with Power Loss in Rear #3  
...Engine never seems to register the strain...

That sounds like the clutch is slipping to me. You can adjust the slack at the pedal, and on the right side there is an inspection port plugged with a rubber grommet that allows you to inspect the thickness of the clutch lining. Your 1700 is a good tractor.

/ Ford 1700 with Power Loss in Rear #4  
I have a 1700, and mow in gear 6 to 8 depending on how tall the grass is. I second the notion of clutch slippage.

/ Ford 1700 with Power Loss in Rear #5  
it is most likely caused by clutch slippage. On single stage clutch on 1700 there is no adjustment other than distance between pressure plate fingers and throwout bearing. That adjustment will not correct clutch slippage unless the bearing is constantly riding on pressure plate fingers. You can use the inspection hole to visually inspect and measure thickness of clutch friction plate without any disassembly. Using a flash light you'll be able to see if release bearing is riding the fingers or not.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 with Power Loss in Rear #6  
if you hit a load and slow down and engine sound don't change.. check clutch as suggested.