Ford 4400 engine stopped for no reason

/ Ford 4400 engine stopped for no reason #1  

f4400

Tractor
Ford 4400
I have a ~1970 Ford 4400 (3 cyl gas) and I've put just about 10 hours on it - hour meter says 1,100 or so. I was doing some mowing today and it just stopped running - like it ran out of gas. I checked the tank and there was plenty. Tried starting it a couple of times but all it did was crank. I loosened the sediment glass to ensure gas was indeed flowing. It was and it ran down my arm. I looked at a few other things but didn't do anything. Didn't see anything else out of sorts. Got back in the seat and she started up this time. Is this something I should investigate further or is it just "old tractor syndrome"?

/ Ford 4400 engine stopped for no reason #2  
check gas cap vent

/ Ford 4400 engine stopped for no reason #3  
How did the engine die? Did it sputter and miss a few times and die or did it die like you shut off the key? If it's the former, it's probably fuel related. if it's the later than it's most likely ignition related

Since it's a gasser, if it does this again, immediately get off and check the spark. If it's non-existent then the problem is in the primary ignition circuit (Battery to key to solenoid to coil to disributor to ground). The first thing to check is for a loose wire connection in the ignition primary circuit since it started up again.

If you have a good spark (FAT AND BLUISH-WHITE, the color of lightning) then it could be a fuel delivery problem.

/ Ford 4400 engine stopped for no reason
Thanks for the replies. The engine died like I turned the key off, so seems like its electrical. How would I check the spark? I can get to the distributor but I don't think any of the spark plugs. I'll look close for loose wires. But it did start back up without me doing anything electrical.

/ Ford 4400 engine stopped for no reason #5  
Any 'safety' switches on this ?, possibly you tripped one ?

Will have to look for safety switches. Not expecting to see anything like that on a 1970 vintage tractor.

/ Ford 4400 engine stopped for no reason #7  
Thanks for the replies. The engine died like I turned the key off, so seems like its electrical. How would I check the spark? I can get to the distributor but I don't think any of the spark plugs. I'll look close for loose wires. But it did start back up without me doing anything electrical.

Pull the center wire from the top of the distributor cap and hold it near a good ground. Try to start. You should see a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, the color of lightning.

I'll keep an eye on it. Mowed and plowed for a couple of hours today with no issue. Inter-mitten problems are the worst.

/ Ford 4400 engine stopped for no reason #9  
jerry is giving you GOOD info.

hows the key on that thing feel? loose or tight. key might be going flaky...

post back with some observations.

Key is solid but is a little tough to pull out. I don't live on my property and don't have a shed yet so I pull the key out and take it with me when I'm not there.