OOPS or Why you should always look for debris before mowing AKA Lawnmower carnage!

/ OOPS or Why you should always look for debris before mowing AKA Lawnmower carnage! #21  
These are examples of The Corollary To Murphy's Law - if a mower can find it will. OR if it is there the mower WILL find it. I've had my Murphy's Corollary moments, the most recent was the piece of my IH 140 quick hitch that was missing for for a couple of weeks. Found it with my Husqvarna mower, it nor the lawn mower were improved by the experience.

/ OOPS or Why you should always look for debris before mowing AKA Lawnmower carnage! #22  
So let me tell you a story of mowers, boats, carnage and unbridled passion. Ok, forget the passion but everything else is true.

For some crazy reason, I bought a vintage boat with an outboard motor. I spent all winter restoring the boat in anticipation of summer. It was a labor of love that devoured weekends and evenings with the worst of it getting the finicky outboard to run.

Finally a glorious spring day came and we loaded up kids and boat. We launched the boat and idled off the trailer like pros. Reversed out into the lake, sun shining and all was right with the world. I went to shift into forward gear but the lever wouldn't move. I fiddled, banged and cursed but it was stuck in reverse. We backed our way silently back to the boat launch. The wife and kids maintained an uneasy silence as I cursed under my breath.

It was a busy day at the boat launch. It was hot and people were impatient. Finally my wife pulled up with the truck and trailer. Now let me tell you, my wife has a commercial driver license and I have seen her drive massive RV's, horse trailers and travel trailer with ease. However, this tiny little single axle trailer confounded her. Multiple attempts to back down the ramp resulted in jackknifing of the trailer. Finally a passerby just lifted up the trailer and set it straight. Hot, furious and short tempered I drug the boat to the trailer and began winching it on. Naturally about midway on the trailer the winch strap snapped. Despite seeing red, I kept my cool and with herculean effort I yanked the boat the rest of the way on the trailer.

My muscles screamed and back moaned as I lept into the truck and pulled out of the launch, trucks lining up waiting to get in the water. A horrible screech sounded.....I had forgot to put the outboard up, grinding the new prop into oblivion! The ride home was tense, to say the least!

When I got home I was determined to salvage the day. I jumped on the tractor to take out my fury on the weeds and briars that had accumulated. I was happily chopping them away when I felt a jolt, heard a clang and felt liquid raining down on me! I lept off the tractor to discover that I had mowed over our well head!

This time I let loose the cannons! A blue stream of epithets covered the countryside as rain fell. Soon the cool water drops were replaced by a harsh stab of pain. Then another and another! That's when I became aware that I had parked on top of a hornets nest!

The moral of this story is boats are nothing but trouble!

Sorry, but I got nothing for you friend, I can't top that one!!! I wouldn't wish that kind of karma on my worst enemy lol!!

/ OOPS or Why you should always look for debris before mowing AKA Lawnmower carnage! #24  
Sthil...you made my day! My wife and I had a great laugh! Sorry...

Mike

/ OOPS or Why you should always look for debris before mowing AKA Lawnmower carnage! #25  
So far I've been lucky; but I have picked up a dozen trampoline springs I found in the yard because some dam fool in the neighborhood didn't tie-down their tramp, which must have blown through the block during a high windstorm. Fortunately the weeds were low, and the springs bright and shiny so I saw them.

I'm told boats are nothing but holes in the water you throw money into.

Q: Why do people bury bricks in pastures?

JTPYO = Just To Piss You Off.

/ OOPS or Why you should always look for debris before mowing AKA Lawnmower carnage! #26  
i remember a buddy caleld me to mow his pasture once. 1st pass i took real slow around the peremiter, insid ehis fence. went slow in case he had junk laying around the fence line. with the 1st pass slowly cut i then started the 2nd pass with speed to get the job done. half way thru 2nd pass i hit the railroad ties he had burried in his pasture.. really?

So far I've been lucky; but I have picked up a dozen trampoline springs I found in the yard because some dam fool in the neighborhood didn't tie-down their tramp, which must have blown through the block during a high windstorm. Fortunately the weeds were low, and the springs bright and shiny so I saw them.

I'm told boats are nothing but holes in the water you throw money into.

JTPYO = Just To Piss You Off.

/ OOPS or Why you should always look for debris before mowing AKA Lawnmower carnage! #27  
Stihlrunner,

The big question is, is the boat running now? :D

/ OOPS or Why you should always look for debris before mowing AKA Lawnmower carnage! #28  
Stihlrunner,

The big question is, is the boat running now? :D
Or maybe, does he still own the boat?

My mower malfunctions are pretty benign compared to these found here. :)

Let see, did the barbed wire thing for sure while actually looking at the wire, sigh.
Mowed some t-posts, pier blocks, rebar and my favorite is the time my wife said i was mowing too close to the pickup, what does she know, and throwing a nicely sized 3inch rock into fender putting a nicely sized dent into the sheet metal that doesn't look so nice anymore.:duh:

/ OOPS or Why you should always look for debris before mowing AKA Lawnmower carnage! #29  
Stihlrunner said:
So let me tell you a story of mowers, boats, carnage and unbridled passion. Ok, forget the passion but everything else is true.

For some crazy reason, I bought a vintage boat with an outboard motor. I spent all winter restoring the boat in anticipation of summer. It was a labor of love that devoured weekends and evenings with the worst of it getting the finicky outboard to run.

Finally a glorious spring day came and we loaded up kids and boat. We launched the boat and idled off the trailer like pros. Reversed out into the lake, sun shining and all was right with the world. I went to shift into forward gear but the lever wouldn't move. I fiddled, banged and cursed but it was stuck in reverse. We backed our way silently back to the boat launch. The wife and kids maintained an uneasy silence as I cursed under my breath.

It was a busy day at the boat launch. It was hot and people were impatient. Finally my wife pulled up with the truck and trailer. Now let me tell you, my wife has a commercial driver license and I have seen her drive massive RV's, horse trailers and travel trailer with ease. However, this tiny little single axle trailer confounded her. Multiple attempts to back down the ramp resulted in jackknifing of the trailer. Finally a passerby just lifted up the trailer and set it straight. Hot, furious and short tempered I drug the boat to the trailer and began winching it on. Naturally about midway on the trailer the winch strap snapped. Despite seeing red, I kept my cool and with herculean effort I yanked the boat the rest of the way on the trailer.

My muscles screamed and back moaned as I lept into the truck and pulled out of the launch, trucks lining up waiting to get in the water. A horrible screech sounded.....I had forgot to put the outboard up, grinding the new prop into oblivion! The ride home was tense, to say the least!

When I got home I was determined to salvage the day. I jumped on the tractor to take out my fury on the weeds and briars that had accumulated. I was happily chopping them away when I felt a jolt, heard a clang and felt liquid raining down on me! I lept off the tractor to discover that I had mowed over our well head!

This time I let loose the cannons! A blue stream of epithets covered the countryside as rain fell. Soon the cool water drops were replaced by a harsh stab of pain. Then another and another! That's when I became aware that I had parked on top of a hornets nest!

WOW!!!

/ OOPS or Why you should always look for debris before mowing AKA Lawnmower carnage! #30  
Stihlrunner you made me laugh,:laughing:, if it makes you feel better I broke a shear bolt when I ran over a fence post yesterday,, I got out and fixed it in a couple minutes.. There I hope that makes you feel a little better knowing we all have our problems.. and your right about the boat.. The two happiest days of your life,, the day you buy a boat and the next is the day you sell darn thing.. Lou