Help with trailer decision .............

/ Help with trailer decision ............. #1  

AuCivil

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4710
Have a JD 4710 with 460FEL and 48BH. Tow rig is a 2500HD GMC. Looking at either a 16 foot Big Tex gooseneck dump or 24 foot gooseneck flatbed. The tractor with the hoe mounted and FEL resting on the gooseneck should fit inside the dump. With the MX6 rotary cutter instead of the hoe it should hang about 4' off the back. According to Alabama public safety office the 4' hanging off is okay as long as it is lit and/or flagged appropriately (guy at the trailer place said it was illegal - not sure who is right.

I've searched the site and read a lot about both types of trailers. Basically on the fence and need to get pushed off one side. Would like a 20 foot gooseneck dump flatbed (or drop sided) but cannot find anything like that in my area.

Any advise is appreciated.

/ Help with trailer decision ............. #2  
How much hauling of things that need a dump bed do you do? And what sort of materials? That would be the deciding factors I guess.

Both are nice rigs, the flat bed is better than the dropped or dump bed because it can be easily loaded with a forklift with nothing in the way. And the fenders in a dropped bed pin you down to a maximum width with no leeway, guess that would be the same for the dump bed too.

Can't say about the 4', it is not illegal here, but if 4' or more it needs a flag.

/ Help with trailer decision ............. #3  
same question.. do you need the dump bed.

if dumping is a 'MUST' then that pins you.

I know I can't really haul my old ford 850 tractor with a light duty loader and a woods 6500 hoe on a 16' flatbed. puts all the weight in the wrong place for bumperpull. if it were gn.. it might make a significan't difference.

on the other hand.. i really like my flatbed gn. as other sated.. no fenders inthe way. easy to load with a laoder or forklift. but it don't dump.....

weigh your needs.

/ Help with trailer decision ............. #4  
I have a Betterbuilt 22' Bumper pull that was built to my specs. The plant is in Double Springs, Al and they are good people to do business with. They will build any type of trailer you want.
I would recommend at least talking to them about a custom trailer.
I only move the TLB from the farm to home and some personal heavy hauling. I have a lot of money in my tractor and I want to move it safely with a good trailer that meets my needs.

http://www.betterbuilttrailers.com

4-11-13 Backhoe (1).jpg

/ Help with trailer decision ............. #5  
I think a lot of guy's think that they'll have a dump truck when they get a dump trlr. If your planning on hauling gravel or dirt, a dump trlr/pu tk can realistly only haul a meaningless load of either. They are great for mulch, clean up jobs, or even a small load of logs, but a 5 ton pile of gravel (depending on your job) is a suprisingly small pile! My 2cents says hire a real truck when you need it and go for the deck over.
I also had a Betterbuilt GN deckover, it was a good trlr.

/ Help with trailer decision .............
My only "must" would be the ability to transport my tractor, the rest of the uses are just general trailer uses. Hauling larger items, moving duties, temp storage area, hauling limbs and debris, landscape material (mulch), etc...... dump ability is just handy for me since I'm getting older

/ Help with trailer decision ............. #7  
10-4 on the dump, gravity is a good thing when applied properly!

/ Help with trailer decision ............. #8  
If you have stake pockets on the flatbed, you can put sides on it for hauling some of that stuff. And some things don't dump as well as I think they ought to either.

I had a load of composted horse manure in my 1-ton dump and it just wasn't moving. I ended up pulling it down with the FEL bucket as much as I could. It was pretty damp/wet, I think that's why it was clinging.

Things like stone pour off from the top and back of the load, and other things don't move unless the whole load slides. So, there is some physics/material science involved.

/ Help with trailer decision ............. #9  
I found the perfect trailer for me, 4' pop-up dove tail, 5' dovetails tend to drag a lot.

For hauling square hay bales, ramps make a back stop.
P9062364.JPG

For round bales, leave the deck down and ramps hold the last one or two in place.
P7310009.JPG

For equipment, ramps slide in to match tread width, and support the rear when driving up on them.
P9062369.JPG PC190002.JPG

I ordered it with the receiver hitch and wiring to pull another trailer behind it.

Last edited: