Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Super Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,010
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: Are you kidding me....

    Bless your Mom, but a bigger tractor often means a deeper rut.

    You can use the FEL and hoe as built-in jacks too. Use them to get the machine up, then put logs below the tires. Sometimes moving over with the hoe just takes you to a new stuck spot too. "Moving over" would take you a while to get up the slope, which is where you needed to go.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."

  2. #12
    Silver Member kentuckydiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Are you kidding me....

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    Bless your Mom, but a bigger tractor often means a deeper rut.
    I have $1000 that says my tractor would walk right through that in 2wd. (Of course, I will need to find spare time and such, which I have none of right now.) In this case, Mother knows best.



    -Phillip
    SPIDER TRACTOR: '95 John Deere 5200 MFWD making around 60hp--12.4-24 8ply Goodyear R1 front tires--18.4-26 10ply Goodyear R2 fluid filled rear tires--Tires are set 8' 2" wide for maximum stability on hills--540 Loader with forks and custom fabricated bucket.

  3. #13
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    293
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Tractor
    JD 5105, IH-Case 255, JD 3038E

    Default Re: Are you kidding me....

    Hasn't been that wet, really. We had less than 3/4 inch last week. Fields are in good shape and planting is going well. I see your home site is partially wooded. That would help hold the water this time of year. You may want to do a "walk around" before mowing next time to be sure it is dry enough for your equipment, or be sure your neighbor is home !! Good luck and enjoy your land.

  4. #14
    Super Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,010
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: Are you kidding me....

    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckydiesel View Post
    I have $1000 that says my tractor would walk right through that in 2wd. (Of course, I will need to find spare time and such, which I have none of right now.) In this case, Mother knows best.



    -Phillip
    Oh, I agree. Arguing with Mom is a losing proposition.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."

  5. #15
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    955
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Tractor
    MF 135

    Default Re: Are you kidding me....

    The Cat backhoe lifting and moving itself over is an industrial backhoe, not a utility backhoe like the kubota. Some backhoes don't recommend swinging the rear of the machine with the boom.

  6. #16
    Silver Member kentuckydiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Are you kidding me....

    Quote Originally Posted by Arc weld View Post
    The Cat backhoe lifting and moving itself over is an industrial backhoe, not a utility backhoe like the kubota. Some backhoes don't recommend swinging the rear of the machine with the boom.
    Because they don't want the liability risk associated with idiots turning their tractors on their sides. My stance is, it's your machine. Learn how to operate it like an extension of your own body.
    As a kid I was always amazed at how my uncle operated the FEL on my Grandparent's JD 4020. He may as well have been picking things up with his own hands. That was my goal, and I believe I have surpassed it. Just as I train my horses to be like my own legs, my tractor may as well be my arms and legs. Can put it anywhere and pick up anything.

    Just saying, don't give up because you don't operate a backhoe for a living. There are many professionals out there who could learn a thing or two from the people who really practice at home.

    -Phillip
    SPIDER TRACTOR: '95 John Deere 5200 MFWD making around 60hp--12.4-24 8ply Goodyear R1 front tires--18.4-26 10ply Goodyear R2 fluid filled rear tires--Tires are set 8' 2" wide for maximum stability on hills--540 Loader with forks and custom fabricated bucket.

  7. #17
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    955
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Tractor
    MF 135

    Default Re: Are you kidding me....

    Don't think it has anything to do with liability. If they were so concerned with liability, they wouldn't build machines in the first place. An easy way to wreck a utility or farm machine is to try to use it like an industrial machine. They just aren't built as rugged.

  8. #18
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    766
    Location
    mansfield,Il
    Tractor
    john deere

    Default Re: Are you kidding me....

    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckydiesel View Post
    Because they don't want the liability risk associated with idiots turning their tractors on their sides. My stance is, it's your machine. Learn how to operate it like an extension of your own body.
    As a kid I was always amazed at how my uncle operated the FEL on my Grandparent's JD 4020. He may as well have been picking things up with his own hands. That was my goal, and I believe I have surpassed it. Just as I train my horses to be like my own legs, my tractor may as well be my arms and legs. Can put it anywhere and pick up anything.

    Just saying, don't give up because you don't operate a backhoe for a living. There are many professionals out there who could learn a thing or two from the people who really practice at home.

    -Phillip
    Really?

  9. #19
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    766
    Location
    mansfield,Il
    Tractor
    john deere

    Default Re: Are you kidding me....

    Those CUT'S are designed for loaders and backhoes . The problem was pilot error .

  10. #20
    Silver Member kentuckydiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Are you kidding me....

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin37b View Post
    Really?
    Yea, but I have also worked on assorted farms/ranches, plus I've put in alot of gravel roads and riding arenas...in addition to working on my own place, so I guess I have had the opportunity to get a bit more seat time than the average homeowner. That said, I've met alot of "professional operators" who couldn't operate their way out of a wet paper bag...so yes, a homeowner can be better than a "professional" in many cases.

    -Phillip
    SPIDER TRACTOR: '95 John Deere 5200 MFWD making around 60hp--12.4-24 8ply Goodyear R1 front tires--18.4-26 10ply Goodyear R2 fluid filled rear tires--Tires are set 8' 2" wide for maximum stability on hills--540 Loader with forks and custom fabricated bucket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Insurance Insurance...You have got to be kidding me!!!
    By Bacffin in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 09:00 PM
  2. R U kidding...$115 for 5gal of oil!
    By Slippy in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 04:26 PM
  3. No jumping??...No kidding...
    By BTDT in forum Photos
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 07:25 PM
  4. You have got to be kidding me..................
    By Ozarker in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 07:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.