What price for grubbing mesquite?

/ What price for grubbing mesquite? #31  
a couple years ago, I talked with a guy about getting a very large dozer pulling a below ground root plow shear, pushing up piles and burning, then heavy and fine disking and "jigging" fresh grass and rolling. We figured roughly $1000/acre for 25 acres for all of the above.

/ What price for grubbing mesquite? #32  
PS. The dozer with the root plow was the expensive part.

/ What price for grubbing mesquite? #33  
Sounds like my fields have similar sized mesquite. I was thinking about buying a grapple. Do you think it would be possible to pull them out with one?

Love the pic of the Bison. That's a dream of mine to put out on my place sometime.

J

/ What price for grubbing mesquite? #34  
You can try pulling them out with a grapple, I sometimes end up pulling some with my shear if I don't cut all the way through or when I am grappeling the cut stuff and I get too deep into the soil around the stucmp. The roots go everywhere and you are likely to end up with a field of roots sticking up all over the field where they break off. They pull up easier if the soil is moist. I get roots that are sometimes 20-30 feet long running under the surface.

/ What price for grubbing mesquite?
Hey all,

Paulharvey, you are correct, $60/hr is the rate the owner and I agreed on. After doing this job, I think $75/hr is closer to what I should be charging. That would put me at around $300/acre to grub and rake. My plan is to charge by the hour as conditions will be different on every project. This exercise will give me a way to estimate the land clearing cost as most customers I have dealt with want to have some idea of the costs up front. I will also need to recover daily travel costs for a project this far away (138 mi round trip/day). Toward the end of the clearing project, I did break a final drive chain on the left rear of the skid. I opened the chain case, removed the broken chain and was still able to drive the skid up onto the trailer and take it home. I wound up replacing a short section (12”) of the RC100HD chain and used two master links to put it back together. So far it seems to be working just fine. Only time will tell. As to your question about using my skid as opposed to using other types of equipment, I would use my skid again for Mesquites the size I am working with now and smaller. If I was dealing with full sized (mature) Mesquites, I think a dozer/grubber or an excavator/grubber would be better. For raking the skid with a root rake or a grapple rake worked very well.

Kyle, I don’t have any pictures of the grubber in action, however I am still grubbing some in other fields. Tomorrow I will be moving some dirt with a friend’s help. I will try to get him to shoot a short video of the grubbing action if you guys are interested.

Fastowl, good idea about checking with the ASCS office on reimbursement rates for land clearing. I had not thought of that as I have not ever dealt with them before. I will give them a call. What kind of equipment are the guys using to clear land around Menard? $100-$200/acre sounds like a very good price (for the landowner) for land clearing. I am not sure I would want to subject my machine to the abuse for that price. +1 on the moisture content of the soil making a big difference. When I started this project the pasture had not seen any rain for months and the soil was very dry. About halfway through, we got ½” of rain on the pasture and for a week or so after the rain pulling the mesquites was significantly easier. It was much easier to pull them out taproot and all as opposed to cutting them off below the nut.

C4Ranch, I rented a grapple rake last Monday to move some previously cut brush and trees that had been deposited in creek beds several years ago. The owner wanted them moved out into open areas so he could burn them without damaging live trees. I had never used a grapple rake before and boy was I impressed! It is on my list of tools to acquire. I am not sure how well it would work pulling up mesquites. I think you will have better luck using something that will allow you to catch the plant 6”-12” below grade and then pull it up. I have not tried this method so if you get a grapple rake and try it, please let us know how well it works. I am removing quite a bit of scrub Oak from the pasture I am working in now. I did try the grapple rake on the Oak and it worked very well as the root system for the oaks is close the surface of the ground. I suspect that the grapple rake would also work well on Cedars. I see you are in Eastland Co. not very far from me. The grapple rake I rented last Monday came from Abilene Rental Center in Abilene. I paid $72.00 (tax, insurance and all) for the day’s rental. It may be worth renting one for a day or so to try it before you buy it.

All the best,

Tim

/ What price for grubbing mesquite? #36  
Great info here! I stumbled upon this thread from a google search on mesquite clearing, and I live in Abilene.

We recently moved to a property with acreage that has mesquites to be cleared and I'm trying to decide what machine to get. Looks like that M&M shear is an excellent tool! I was wondering if you guys in TX (tmc & Fastowl) might mind me coming out and seeing your gear in action? If so, I could PM you my number to work out details. If not, for liability reasons, I understand. All I can offer in return is untrained labor and I'll buy lunch! haha. At any rate, I've gotten quite a lot of good info from this thread already.

Thanks,
Rob

Edit: Wanted to note that though this is my first post... I've been lurking and reading here for a couple of years, I'm new to tractors so I haven't had any info worth opening my mouth (keyboard) about... simply been trying to read a lot and learn...

Hey Robb0h, I am clearing some mesquite and brush on my neighbors land across the street. I live about 5 miles north of Tye. I would be happy to have you come and watch, maybe even give it a try if you are so inclined. Give me a call this weekend if you want to. My number is (325) 665-054five

Tim

/ What price for grubbing mesquite? #38  
Hey Robb0h, I am clearing some mesquite and brush on my neighbors land across the street. I live about 5 miles north of Tye. I would be happy to have you come and watch, maybe even give it a try if you are so inclined. Give me a call this weekend if you want to. My number is (325) 665-054five

Tim

Thanks for the offer Tim! We have guests arriving shortly for the weekend. I will check and see what all they have planned, and if there is some time I'll be free from entertaining them I will give you a ring!

Rob

Rob, I'm sure I'll be working on it all next week too so call anytime.

Tim